Thread: New Pen

New Pen

Decided the other day that I need a new pen. Had these blanks sitting around that I bought a while back when I found them on sale. Yep, that is shredded money. Have no way of knowing how much is there, or isn't there. So I call it my $1000 pen. Kit is one of the newer Ultimate Cigar kits in chrome and gold. Sanded through all the micro-mesh grits and polished up with some Mylands just to seal things off.

The friction finish left a bit of texture to the surface. Kind of causes a secure feel in the hand. I think I would have preferred to have the smooth/slick feel that a CA finish would have given. Maybe I'll let this one go and make another with the CA that I'm wanting.

Any comments appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Money Pen.jpg  
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

A littel hard to see much detail with such a small photo.
    Looks good from what I can see.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

Re: New Pen

I'm viewing the pic on an iPhone so I can't tell much about the size of the pic, but from what I see it looks nice.

I typically use no finish on an acrylic pen. Plastic polishes as shiny as any film finish I know of. I don't see the benefit to adding anything over it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've seen the money blank in catalogs and wondered how they look when finished. Came out real nice.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Looks good.
    You said you have a texture feel. You also said you sanded through "all" the MM grits. When I (rarely) do synthetics, I skip the two or three coarsest grits since those make scratch marks so deep they are near impossible to sand out. And, with MM on synthetics, I sand wet. Usually this results in a glassy surface that doesn't need any more treatment. However, I often top with a carnauba based auto wax for that extra 'pop' while on display waiting a sale.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Very rich looking!
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

these blanks have little pieces of money that stick out regardless of what I did to it. A CA finish would have taken care of it, but I didn't do that on this one. Next ones I do will get the CA treatment. That way those pesky little ends will be subdued into submission. that's what I was trying to do with the Mylands. I had pleanty of shine. Just wanted it smoother.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Good looking pen. Small pic's hold back a lot of the details.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Miller View Post
    these blanks have little pieces of money that stick out regardless of what I did to it. A CA finish would have taken care of it, but I didn't do that on this one. Next ones I do will get the CA treatment. That way those pesky little ends will be subdued into submission. that's what I was trying to do with the Mylands. I had pleanty of shine. Just wanted it smoother.
    That would be a problem. A friend made a coffee bean blank pen. The beans kept popping out. The only 'novelty' blanks I care to use are snakeskin.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire