New Pen

Doug Miller

Decided the other day that I need a new pen. Had these blanks sitting around that I bought a while back when I found them on sale. Yep, that is shredded money. Have no way of knowing how much is there, or isn't there. So I call it my $1000 pen. Kit is one of the newer Ultimate Cigar kits in chrome and gold. Sanded through all the micro-mesh grits and polished up with some Mylands just to seal things off.

The friction finish left a bit of texture to the surface. Kind of causes a secure feel in the hand. I think I would have preferred to have the smooth/slick feel that a CA finish would have given. Maybe I'll let this one go and make another with the CA that I'm wanting.

Any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• Money Pen.jpg
    Money Pen.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 49
I'm viewing the pic on an iPhone so I can't tell much about the size of the pic, but from what I see it looks nice.

I typically use no finish on an acrylic pen. Plastic polishes as shiny as any film finish I know of. I don't see the benefit to adding anything over it.

Looks good.
You said you have a texture feel. You also said you sanded through "all" the MM grits. When I (rarely) do synthetics, I skip the two or three coarsest grits since those make scratch marks so deep they are near impossible to sand out. And, with MM on synthetics, I sand wet. Usually this results in a glassy surface that doesn't need any more treatment. However, I often top with a carnauba based auto wax for that extra 'pop' while on display waiting a sale.

these blanks have little pieces of money that stick out regardless of what I did to it. A CA finish would have taken care of it, but I didn't do that on this one. Next ones I do will get the CA treatment. That way those pesky little ends will be subdued into submission. that's what I was trying to do with the Mylands. I had pleanty of shine. Just wanted it smoother.

these blanks have little pieces of money that stick out regardless of what I did to it. A CA finish would have taken care of it, but I didn't do that on this one. Next ones I do will get the CA treatment. That way those pesky little ends will be subdued into submission. that's what I was trying to do with the Mylands. I had pleanty of shine. Just wanted it smoother.

That would be a problem. A friend made a coffee bean blank pen. The beans kept popping out. The only 'novelty' blanks I care to use are snakeskin.