Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a wood.

Help me choose a wood.

Here's a photo of a Greene & Greene picture frame I'd like to make:

It doesn't say what kind of wood it is, but most of the stuff in that particular house is mahogany. I would assume, since it's over 100 years old, it's Honduras mahogany.

I can find Honduras mahogany nearby, but I want to make the horizontal pieces about 1 1/4" thick, and the yard only has 4/4 stock. They also have Phillipine and African mahogany and Sapele.

I could probably find Honduras mahogany in another yard that's a bit further away but, if necessary, I'll make the trip to get as close to this photo as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I don't see the pic. I think it is probably ok to use a different wood if you like a different color or grain pattern better.

What kind of picture will you be framing? A different color wood might go better with the artwork.

I'm a little confused as to how to post an image.

I posted the URL for the photo of the frame, but it didn't show up in the post.

I've got a copy of it on my hard drive, but that, of course, doesn't have a URL.

Any hints?

Post a reply, scroll down to manage attachments (under additional options) and upload the photo.

Tony, BCE '75

I cant see a picture..
    I dont know how much you need.
    If its a small amount, you can look through my mahogany/sapele pile and we can cut out what you need.
    Im 35 minutes from the gw or verrazano

I have alot of different mahogony and sapeles, Im never sure which one is hondurian.
    Last edited by allen levine; 04-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Hey Brian, you might want to drop Rennie Heuer a note, He introduced me to G&G style furniture this past year and has built several pieces.

Ah... that's better!

Here's the frame...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GGUSC-Gamble-DA-005.jpeg  

Thanks, Tony.

And thanks Allen for your generous offer. The horizontal pieces are around 48 X 4 and should be 5/4 stock. The verticals are 21 X 4.5., 4/4 stock. Not exactly what I would call "scraps" with wood as nice as that, but if you think you've got something, please let me know.

And thank you, Paul. I'm new to this forum, so it may take a little hunting to find Rennie, but I'll give it a shot.

ill look tomorrow, if I think its hondurian, Ill shoot a pic of it if I find it

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Corrigan View Post
    Thanks, Tony.

And thanks Allen for your generous offer. The horizontal pieces are around 48 X 4 and should be 5/4 stock. The verticals are 21 X 4.5., 4/4 stock. Not exactly what I would call "scraps" with wood as nice as that, but if you think you've got something, please let me know.

And thank you, Paul. I'm new to this forum, so it may take a little hunting to find Rennie, but I'll give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes View Post
    Hey Brian, you might want to drop Rennie Heuer a note, He introduced me to G&G style furniture this past year and has built several pieces.
    Paul is too kind - but here I am.

I made a G&G frame a few years ago out of Lyptus. Although it finishes beautifully and looks great, it has a lot of movement in the grain for a G&G piece. (note - I was very careful on this piece to pick through the pile for the quietest, straight grained wood)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0685 (799 x 599).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	44950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0688 (599 x 799).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	44951

I am currently working on some G&G tables, also in Lyptus - however, they are going to a church that already has a number of my G&G pieces in Lyptus and they need to match.

I recently picked up some ribbon mahogany to build a couple of G&G inspired small boxes. I'm anxious to see how they turn out. The long and short of it is this; choose the wood you think best fits for your intended use/customer. If you want to stay true to the style, then mahogany is the only real way to go. However, if you are not trying to build a replica, go with your own taste. I've seen some very good G&G 'inspired' work in other woods like cherry. Stay away from wild grain oak, ash, etc.

Best of luck with the piece and be sure to post lots of pics!
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 04-24-2010 at 08:07 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com