router table drawers

Julio Navarro

I am finishing up a new router table and I am trying to figure out how to configure the drawers.

I want to store router bits, 1/4 and 1/2 shank and misc. parts and router tools.

I've seen half drawers specially designed for bits but I am trying to get some ideas.

My drawers need to be 4-3/4" wide x 4-1/4" high I can have 16, 8 on each side.

What solutions have you guys come up with?

I am finishing up a new router table and I am trying to figure out how to configure the drawers...What solutions have you guys come up with?

[size=+1]Julio,
When I build mine a couple years ago, I used the small bit holders from Lee Valley. They were, for me, the near-perfect solution. They come in both quarter and half inch sizes, and are fairly inexpensive. They each mount with one screw, and can be spaced however you want them, so that odd sized bits can be accommodated.[/size]

Attachments

• router table drawer close-up.jpg
    router table drawer close-up.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 33
[
My drawers need to be 4-3/4" wide x 4-1/4" high I can have 16, 8 on each side.

What solutions have you guys come up with?[/QUOTE]

julio you say you can have 8 drawers on each side.well what i did was rather have seperate drawers i made them double high and deep they have shelfs that are on aincline and are the full deepth of the cabinet on fullextension slides, drilled holes in the shelfvs to accomadate the bits 1/2 on one side and 1/4 on the other but jims idea looks pretty good and the adjust ment would come in handy.

On mine, I just used two pieces of 1/2 ply on top of each other and put wood guides on the sides. The holes will need to be drilled to 17/32 and 9/32 so the bits don't stick DAMHIKT.

Personally, I haven't really liked storing bits this way. I switched back to a piece of corian I had drilled to actual 1/4 and 1/2 size and have mounted to a wall at an angle. Problem for me with the drawers is I spent too much time trying to figure out what drawer a bit was in, and it irritated me.