Anyone use these clamps?

Jeff Horton

Anyone used these or something similar? I have a chance of to buy some brand new Shop Smiths just like this. 4' wide I believe. Price is good, but only if I will use them. They look like a great tool for wide glue ups but........

DoubleBarClamps.jpg

I have a pair of these and, when I remember to use them, they work well. Because they take a bit more time to set up and use, I more often reach for my Bessie's. However, these do help to hold a panel flat and, at least partially, minimize the need for additional cauls. They do not apply as much pressure (IMHO) as a caul might so they might not be as effective. Also, I have no idea if the clamping pressure is comparable with other clamps.

If you can get them at a good price I say go for it. They will just be one more tool in your clamp arsenal....and you can never have too many clamps.

I have 2 pair and they work as designed. As the sorts of things I make continues to evolve I find I have not used them for awhile. If you do a lot of panel glue ups, that's what they do.

The theory looks sound but I wanted to make sure they worked before I bought them, if I buy them. I don't do a lot of panels but they would be nice when I do and I have a couple of projects in mind.

The only reason I am really interested is I can probably buy 7 of them for $100 or less. I am thinking $75 is very likely. So somewhere around $10-15 each. Otherwise I wouldn't be interested.

I am a point I don't need any more clamps. Yes you can have enough clamps and I am that point! I need to build a wall rack to organize them. I stumbled into a bunch of large bar clamps and hand screws a while back. I have a lot of bar clamp heads with no pipes and tons of F clamps. I am clamp poor!

They are everywhere and I am in desperate need of wall rack to hang them on. When I hear about these I really wasn't expecting anything I wanted and was surprised when I saw them. Money is tight right now so I want to make sure I wasn't wasting my money.

The voice of reason. You say you have more clamps than you could ever need.
Money is tight right now.
These can be easily replaced by using pipe clamps and shop made cauls.
Pass on the deal and save them money for food, gas or paint for a boat.