Tutorial on how to Cane a chair - Updated

Don Baer

Staff member
When the tour was visiting here I mentioned to Tom that I was thinking about posting a tutorial on how to recane a chair. So here it comes

First of all you need to determine what size cane to use. Cane come in three sizes. The following chart should be used to select the proper size cane.

Cane Size Size of hole Space between holes
Common 5/16" 7/8"
Medium 1/4" 3/4"
Fine 3/16" 5/8"
Fine-fine 3/16" 1/2"
Superfine 3/16" 3/8"

You can buy your caning suppliers from Rockler, woodcraft or many online sources. I choose to buy online since I use a large amount. The cane come in hanks of 1000 ft. and are good for 3-4 chairs. The cane should be soaked for at least 1/2 hour prior to starting. I also keep a spong in the water which I use to keep the cane pliable while I am working it.

Next you will need a chair. This is one of 7 that I have been given to recane.

Here is the one I will use for the tutorial

Chair 1.jpg

Next you will need to remove all of the old cane.

Chair 2.jpg

count the number of holes to find the center 2 holes. This is where you will start.

I use golf tees to mark the begining places.

Now start in the center working back to front and work your way towards the outside. This is called the first vertical cane. The tee is used to hold the cane in place.

Chair 3.jpg

Next move to the first Horizontal cane. Again start in the middle and work towards the back. Just lay the cane on the first vertical, no weaving is done yet.

chair 4.jpg

When you are putting the cane in make sure the smooth side is up. The rough surfaace goes on the bottom.

Next comes the second verticle cane. These just lay on top of the first Horizontal can.

Chair 5.jpg

Once the second verticle is complete it is time to tie off the canes. Simply turn the chair over and loop the loose ends through the existing loops a few time, Cut off the long pieces.

chair 6.jpg

Now it time for the second horizontal cane. This will be the first weaving. Simply start in the back right hand corner and pull the cane over the second verticle anunder the first verticle, comtinue the all the way accross then pass the cane through the hole, lopp it back and repeat.

chair 7.jpg

After each row is completed use a golf tee to streighten out the row.

Last edited:
I re did the bottoms of some chairs for my mom a few years back.. I used Jute twine instead of cane.. these were the standard ladder back chairs with the round rungs at the seat and down the legs... I got them done, but I think now I may have done them wrong... maybe should have stated in the middle and worked out front and back... I don't know what happened to those chairs when Mom passed away... wish I had at least one of them.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your tutorial... I have 8 chairs around my dinning table that need new seats... again they are the ladder backs with the round rungs.. I am actually thinking about the slat seats though.. don't know if my hands could handle the Jute again - or the cane either for that matter.

Last edited:
Updated.

Rob, For your canoe you might think about using sheet cane. It come in a sheet and is held in place bty a spline. All you need to apply it is a groove around the seat opening about 1/4 - 3/8" wide. Wet the cane press it into the groove and glue in the spline. Here a picture of how that looks.

sheet cane.jpg

Last edited: