Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First try at a hollow sphere

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

First try at a hollow sphere

this is my first pratice making a hollow sphere. Don't no why i see the line where i cut it in half. I cut it with a coping saw just to keep the grain as close as possible.then i trued it just to be sure it was flat on bouth sides. Any help getting the cut to disappear? As this is just pratice it really don't matter but for the next time i would like it to fade away. This is going to be a art piece when i get this figured out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011 [800x600].JPG   014 [800x600].JPG   015 [800x600].JPG   016 [800x600].JPG   017 [800x600].JPG  

how about 3 v shaped notches, with your seam as the center one? if it's at the bottom of a design feature, no one could tell it's a seam.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Since you have an opening in the side, can you turn it in one piece through the opening and reorient afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Since you have an opening in the side, can you turn it in one piece through the opening and reorient afterwards?
    have thought of that.I'm hoping to find a piece with some natural voids and maybe like you say go in that direction Also might be able to find some crazy grained wood that woun't show.this piece i'm wanting to build will be supended usins fishing line. like i said this is just my first try, i'm sure i'll be doing a lot more before i get it where i want it.

Stephen,
    I'm not sure you'll get the line faded completely... I made a candle light that was two halves of a sphere and put them back together... I'm close, but there's still a faint line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12-257.JPG  
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

When I split some of my ornaments I cut a small v groove on the glue line and one line on either side. I then take some stainless steel wire and burn those grooves. You never know it is there.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Like Bernie said, a burn line hides it. Ordinary folk think that is just decorative. We know better.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Stephen,
    I'm not sure you'll get the line faded completely... I made a candle light that was two halves of a sphere and put them back together... I'm close, but there's still a faint line.
    Chuck that's what i figured. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    When I split some of my ornaments I cut a small v groove on the glue line and one line on either side. I then take some stainless steel wire and burn those grooves. You never know it is there.
    Bernie i've seen some like that but not really what i'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Like Bernie said, a burn line hides it. Ordinary folk think that is just decorative. We know better.
    Frank as i said to Bernie not the look i'm wanting. Under stand the concept and if it was a sale piece it would probably work, but this is just something that's been floating around in my head. it just don't fit what i keep picturing in my head.

I do a lot of segmented work and with light colored woods, the joint will always show. If you use a dark colored wood, the joint will disappear. Try a sphere out of walnut or similar wood.

Would it help to mix light wood dust in epoxy to glue it together?