First try at a hollow sphere

this is my first pratice making a hollow sphere. Don't no why i see the line where i cut it in half. I cut it with a coping saw just to keep the grain as close as possible.then i trued it just to be sure it was flat on bouth sides. Any help getting the cut to disappear? As this is just pratice it really don't matter but for the next time i would like it to fade away. This is going to be a art piece when i get this figured out. Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

Attachments

• 011 [800x600].JPG
    011 [800x600].JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 014 [800x600].JPG
    014 [800x600].JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 015 [800x600].JPG
    015 [800x600].JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 016 [800x600].JPG
    016 [800x600].JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 017 [800x600].JPG
    017 [800x600].JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 136
Since you have an opening in the side, can you turn it in one piece through the opening and reorient afterwards?
have thought of that.I'm hoping to find a piece with some natural voids and maybe like you say go in that direction:dunno: Also might be able to find some crazy grained wood that woun't show.this piece i'm wanting to build will be supended usins fishing line. like i said this is just my first try, i'm sure i'll be doing a lot more before i get it where i want it.

Stephen,
I'm not sure you'll get the line faded completely... I made a candle light that was two halves of a sphere and put them back together... I'm close, but there's still a faint line.

Attachments

• 12-257.JPG
    12-257.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 44
When I split some of my ornaments I cut a small v groove on the glue line and one line on either side. I then take some stainless steel wire and burn those grooves. You never know it is there.

Stephen,
I'm not sure you'll get the line faded completely... I made a candle light that was two halves of a sphere and put them back together... I'm close, but there's still a faint line.
Chuck that's what i figured. thanks

When I split some of my ornaments I cut a small v groove on the glue line and one line on either side. I then take some stainless steel wire and burn those grooves. You never know it is there.
Bernie i've seen some like that but not really what i'm looking for.

Like Bernie said, a burn line hides it. Ordinary folk think that is just decorative. We know better. ;)
Frank as i said to Bernie not the look i'm wanting. Under stand the concept and if it was a sale piece it would probably work, but this is just something that's been floating around in my head. it just don't fit what i keep picturing in my head.

I do a lot of segmented work and with light colored woods, the joint will always show. If you use a dark colored wood, the joint will disappear. Try a sphere out of walnut or similar wood.

I do a lot of segmented work and with light colored woods, the joint will always show. If you use a dark colored wood, the joint will disappear. Try a sphere out of walnut or similar wood.
Thanks Robert i'll try to find some dark wood or if nothin else maybe dye some of this light wood i have dark.:)

Would it help to mix light wood dust in epoxy to glue it together?
Not sure Paul might try that also. like i said this is just pratice so i'll be trying a number of things till i get it the way i want it.

Steve, I've not tried any two-piece spheres, but I think Robert's advice to try dark wood is your best bet. Even if the grain matches exactly, it'll be hard to hide the line if the wood is light-colored.

Would it help to mix light wood dust in epoxy to glue it together?

From what I've seen in the past, that would probably make it stand out more instead of hide it. Sawdust/glue mixes end up showing as a solid-color line that stands out against the variations in the grain.

Steve, I've not tried any two-piece spheres, but I think Robert's advice to try dark wood is your best bet. Even if the grain matches exactly, it'll be hard to hide the line if the wood is light-colored.

From what I've seen in the past, that would probably make it stand out more instead of hide it. Sawdust/glue mixes end up showing as a solid-color line that stands out against the variations in the grain.

Can't argue with you because I haven't tried it. Just think'n, well trying to. I have use such a mix as a filler with some success, but it doesn't alway work as I'd hope.

Steve: I'm involved in a collaborative project making nested spheres. I've made 5 so far (1 successfully). We're not trying to hide the joins, but I had to laminate some flat wood to make blanks and in some cases the lamination joints were nearly invisible. If you can turn and hollow the piece as face grain, the joint will be less visible just like in a laminated blank. Turn the outside almost to completion, match the grain as well as you can, then glue and clamp. Finish turn the outside last. Worth a try maybe.

Steve: I'm involved in a collaborative project making nested spheres. I've made 5 so far (1 successfully). We're not trying to hide the joins, but I had to laminate some flat wood to make blanks and in some cases the lamination joints were nearly invisible. If you can turn and hollow the piece as face grain, the joint will be less visible just like in a laminated blank. Turn the outside almost to completion, match the grain as well as you can, then glue and clamp. Finish turn the outside last. Worth a try maybe.
Thanks Woody I'll try everything ounce twice if it works.;)

any glue joint that is cross grain will show a joint, with the grain will have a better chance to hide and will be alot stronger. end grain joints tend to fail as the wood moves around with time