Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep my brother in your thoughts.

Escondido, CA

Keep my brother in your thoughts.

Recently his house burned to the ground. Fire started near the water heater. He rolled over in bed around 3 AM, flipped his eyes open and register light in the family room. He got up to look and the flames were licking the eaves. He grabbed his pants and called 911. The smoke alarms went off as the windows were exploding. He got out in the nick of time, with pants, shoes, jacket, keys and his checkbook. He has lost everything else. What a mess. It will take months to settle with the insurance company before any rebuilding can begin.

Fortunately his shop, truck, tractor, and motorcycle survived. Shop was scorched but didn't burn. But no power without a building permit. So while he still has those things, he cannot use his shop. Building permit quite a ways down the road. I've offered him a place to stay but he so far has declined. He is staying in a neighbor's guest house so he can be close by and help prevent any vandalism. He lives about 6 miles from me. I think when he feels he has overstayed in that guest house, he will come here. I hope so. I wanna help but he is being stubborn.

Reno NV
    Tough situation there Carol...

Here's to a speedy rebuild and recovery...

Just glad he was able to get out and has his health.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

new york city burbs
    sorry to hear about this.

Kansas City, Missouri
    So sorry to hear about this, glad he got out OK. Will keep him in our thoughts.

A unfortunate reminder, but everyone might do the recall check on the valve on your water heater and furnace. I know there were several out a few years back. Also keep the flammables stored in the proper places.

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Billings Missouri near Springfield Mo
    Thats sad Carol so sorry to hear but the bright side, He's still here to rebuild.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    If theres anything I can do let me know, maybe it's time for a good ole fashion barn raising. I have a portable generator I could bring up for the barn raising..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Wow, he was lucky to get out. Glad he is OK.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I will keep him in my prayers.

Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

We will keep him in our thoughts and prayers Carol. Here's to a speedy rebuild.

Tokyo Japan
    Glad to hear it was just stuff that got burnt up, it can be replaced, thank goodness your brother made it out..

Thoughts and prayers sent your family's way!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward