Looking at Sharpening Stone Systems

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to buy some sort of waterstone sharpening system.

Waterstones because they flatten easily and cut quickly.

I'm tired of my mishmash of 'stuff' and would like to get something decent.

Just saw this, and it looks interesting. Sort of a self contained unit.

Norton IM83

If anybody else has any suggestions on what they like and why, feel free to post. I'm a blank slate on this.

I have several sharpening systems that I have acquired over the years. None of them particularly expensive. Scary Sharp is one, and I use it often.

Here is a tip I learned a number of years ago. One knock against the Scary Sharp System is the fact that folks started out by gluing the paper to glass, because it was flat. Glass is fragile. Cast acrylic (not extruded) is likewise flat. I have a 3/8" piece that serves as the base for my system. It works great. It has also taken a dive to the floor a number of time. It just bounced.

A friend had a much thinner piece. So he screwed it to piece of 3/4" plywood for the stiffness.

Works for me.

I'll be the heretic :D

I don't like the Scary sharp, it wears out too fast, and I find that I spend too much time fooling with sandpaper :rolleyes:

I like the ceramic waterstones, the Shapton stones are very good, I get very good results with them, yes they cost money but then again, most good tools do. Start out buying just one or two a month, and build up the stones number of stones you have over time.

The only place I've found the scary sharp method to work well is with say a #240 sheet of sandpaper on glass to flatten my water stones :D :wave:

Stu,

I know you have a complete set of waterstones right? Are they 'normal' waterstones or ceramic?

If you were going to to the shapton route, what grit stones would you buy?

A Different Norton Set

Norton has a 'beginners' set for a bit less money. Here is a link to it on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...keywords=waterstone&x=16&y=17&sprefix=waterst. It is also available from a number of other online sources. Price, about $120. Has 2 double sided stones (220 / 1000 and 4000 / 8000) plus a flattening stone, combination storage boxes and trays for the stones, and the DVD on sharpening.

I recently picked this up to replace the scary sharp system I had been using. So far I'm liking it. My biggest issue with the scary sharp was replacing the paper so often.

Dick

Richard,

That certainly looks like an interesting solution, and not too expensive....

Hmmm... Starting to reach for my credit card....

(Can you guys tell I'm easily swayed in this thread)

I use Shapton stones and have been satisfied. Bit expensive, though.

I have a 1000, 4000 (I think that's what it is), and an 8000. You can get by with just the 1000 and the 4000.

Mike

Stu,

I know you have a complete set of waterstones right? Are they 'normal' waterstones or ceramic?

If you were going to to the shapton route, what grit stones would you buy?

Yep, I've got a set, I took advantage of a sale and some gift card things, mine are water stones and all ceramic water stones, this means they are regular man made water stones with ceramic bits added to the mix, they are not those 100% ceramic stones, those are seriously expensive.

What stones do you have now?

For me, the most important stones are the #10,000 #5,000 and #1000, the lower grit stones can be just about anything you have, as long as you keep them flat.

I do really like the Shapton stones, they are well worth the money.

Another thing that you can get that is a real money saver AND works well is the diamond paste, for that final polish.

I use a piece of 3/4" thick MDF that is about the same size as my water stones and the 1Mu diamond paste, this is really the way to go to get that final super polish, much cheaper than the #30,000 stone or even higher.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Ok,

Thanks guys for the help. I made up my mind.

I can always do scary sharp, but part of me said to just quit playing around and to get what I want.

I went ahead and ordered some Shapton glass stones today. I got the 220, 1000, 4000, and 8000, and a tube of 1u diamond paste.

And really, this setup wasn't that expensive. The whole shebang cost just 228$, no shipping, no tax.

I couldn't quite go for the 16000 grit stone, hence the diamond paste. But maybe I'll pick one up later (Per Stu's tip about building the kit bit by bit).

From page 50 in Ron Hocks book, 'The Perfect Edge', the 8000 grit is about 1.2 microns and the 16000 grit should be about .9 microns. So I figure use the 8000 stone, and then the diamond paste should give me a nice polish..

I didn't order the shapton flattener, cause that's more expensive the the stones alone, but I figure I can use some float glass and sandpaper or my DMT diamond stone to flatten the stones in the mean time. I'll put the lapper on the ole wish list for now.

Everything I read about the shaptons was good. I like the fact they don't have to be soaked in water prior to use.

I went ahead and got the little coarse stone, because I plan on making a nice little 'pond' to hold all 4 stones at the same time to facilitate ease of sharpening...

Well, my excuse for not having sharp planes is about to be obliterated, I reckon...

I use a DMT diamond plate to flatten my Shapton stones. Mostly I use the extra coarse plate. I don't know what equivalent grit that is but I've never had any problems with my 4000 or 8000 when flattened on that diamond plate.

Mike

brent,, according to rob cosman you dont want to use the 220 diamond stone to flatten the shaptons,, he claims it will ruin anything above 1000grt

Thanks Larry, I'll be careful. :thumb:

I use a DMT diamond plate to flatten my Shapton stones. Mostly I use the extra coarse plate. I don't know what equivalent grit that is but I've never had any problems with my 4000 or 8000 when flattened on that diamond plate.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

My DMT is a 600/1200. So untill I get the 300$ shapton lapping plate, either that or the float glass and sandpaper should do the trick on flattening.

I'll make sure to read the instructions to make sure I don't ruin the stones! :thumb: