Thread: I should'a ....

I should'a ....

... taken Mike Wenzloff's saw building class at Port Townsend School of Woodworking this past weekend. I just saw a post over at SMC where someone asked if anyone had built any of Mike's saw kits and one of the responders was a guy that just finished the class. Tim Lawson of the school then posted a link to their blog with pictures of the class.

<< Link to Blog >>

I am still pumped about our visit to Mike's place last week. I should have done it, seeing how the wife left for Maui last week and won't be back until the end of this week. Only thing is if she found out that I went over to Port Townsend without her...well, I might have to rent that Tour De-Wood RV for an extended time. She loves the place.

The class looked like a small one, with plenty of one-on-one time with Mike. I am going to sign up for the July class. That should teach her to leave me alone with my credit card.

Question is what saw should I build. Here are my options (from the school's website):

On the first day (or so) of this two day class you'll get to build and sharpen a high-end handsaw customized to your hand. We'll be offering you a choice from a small joinery saw through a tenon saw to a panel saw and you get to choose the saw tooth profile.

You'll make and finish the saw handle from Black Walnut or Swiss Pear (we had hoped to offer European Beech but it is unobtainable at the moment).
    The saw kits are:

Dovetail Kit -- $80
    9" blade, 15 ppi

Carcass Kit -- $90
    11" blade
    Rip: 13 ppi or
    Cross Cut: 14 ppi

Small Tenon Kit -- $100
    14" blade
    Rip: 11 ppi or
    Cross Cut: 12 ppi

Panel Saw Kit -- $120
    20" blade
    Rip: 7 ppi or
    Cross Cut: 10 ppi

These kits come with all necessary components to build your saw choice: Blade, handle wood, file and file handle.

yup you shudah bill, but it will be more fun with her nearby in july
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I thought you were going to take it then well it will be more fun with the wifey along for the ride and as for which kit which one don't you have and want. you have a few nice saws already including a nice dove tail saw. So it's just a process of elimination

I hate having a case of the ole shuddawuddacudda's...

Oh well, maybe next time!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Well, if another opportunity does present itself let me know and maybe I'll join you. Port Townsend is pretty close to me after all and the class looks wonderful.

So you are getting all of them aren't you Bill?
    BTW If you need it I can send you some beech, although my preference would go for the pear wood...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    and as for which kit which one don't you have and want. you have a few nice saws already including a nice dove tail saw. So it's just a process of elimination
    What I am really wanting are two small (20" or less) panel saws (rip and crosscut). I have been looking on Ebay (off and on) , but I am no longer interested in buying sight unseen. Pictures just don't count.

I want the panel saws set-up for cutting hardwoods. I am not sure what the differences would be in saw configurations (if any) for a panel saw used for cutting hardwood as opposed to softwoods. Something to ask Mike. Anyone else knows???

The panel saw kits (according to Mike's website) are not taper ground like his completed saws. So I wonder about that; if the taper ground makes a big difference that I would want.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    BTW If you need it I can send you some beech, although my preference would go for the pear wood...
    Thanks for the offer Toni, but I think I prefer the pear wood also. Oh, by the way, thanks for making me waste a whole weekend. I spent most of the weekend (besides getting the shop cleaned up), making shavings as I got use to the woody you gave me. I think I have finially mastered getting use to the higher center of gravity. I created so many curlies, I had to pull the blade twice and sharpen it. What a mess in the shop. It is truly amazing how the volume of wood increases as you plane it. Plus it floats all over the place and ends up inside the house. I got four days to find all of them in the house before the wife gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyon View Post
    Well, if another opportunity does present itself let me know and maybe I'll join you. Port Townsend is pretty close to me after all and the class looks wonderful.
    Well Peter, the next time is this July 10 & 11th. That is the class I am going to sign up for. It would be great to see you there! Let me know if you eventually decide to go.

[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the offer Toni, but I think I prefer the pear wood also. Oh, by the way, thanks for making me waste a whole weekend. I spent most of the weekend (besides getting the shop cleaned up), making shavings as I got use to the woody you gave me.
    [/QUOTE]

Well... you already know it Bill, planes are highly addictive, and their music so soothing...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...