Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cartridge pen

cartridge pen

Here is a cartridge pen I just finished. Need jury opinions.
    The cartridge is from Johnson. It is a .308 case and has a real bullet tip. He does fine work on these. As can be seen it is a chromed case. I used a platinum/Tn kit for the top and clip.
    The wood is stabilized buckeye burl. And that is where the question comes in. Usually bullet pens are made with antler. I made this with burl to get a feel for how the market might like something beside antler.
    Apologies for the bad pic. Using new camera and not sure, at this point, whether I am happy with my purchase. Still in learning curve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chrome cartridge pen.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Brooklin ON -- 45 mins. NE of Toronto, ON
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Here is a cartridge pen I just finished. Need jury opinions.
    The cartridge is from Johnson. It is a .308 case and has a real bullet tip. He does fine work on these. As can be seen it is a chromed case. I used a platinum/Tn kit for the top and clip.
    The wood is stabilized buckeye burl. And that is where the question comes in. Usually bullet pens are made with antler. I made this with burl to get a feel for how the market might like something beside antler.
    Apologies for the bad pic. Using new camera and not sure, at this point, whether I am happy with my purchase. Still in learning curve.
    Hi Frank; I'm not qualified to comment on a bullet pen per se, but I think any pen turned with Buckeye Burl is a winner.

Are you shooting with a blue background? I guess it's obvious you are! I prefer white or grey. I think that would make your pen stand out more.

What's the new camera?
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
    It feels great to sell a pen,
    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact;
    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!

Quote Originally Posted by Mack Cameron View Post
    Hi Frank; I'm not qualified to comment on a bullet pen per se, but I think any pen turned with Buckeye Burl is a winner.

Are you shooting with a blue background? I guess it's obvious you are! I prefer white or grey. I think that would make your pen stand out more.

What's the new camera?
    Thanks. I thought the gray was too close to chrome/silver to make the pen stand out.
    See this thread for info on the camera:
    http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18246

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Thanks. I thought the gray was too close to chrome/silver to make the pen stand out.
    See this thread for info on the camera:
    http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ad.php?t=18246
    Hi Frank; Have a look at Les's Elegant Beauty and/or my Vista. Both silver coloured on white backgrounds. Not a bad pair of photos.

Can't find a review of your camera on http://www.steves-digicams.com/ Just curious to have a look at it!

Oh, here it is SP 800 UZ! http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ly_sp800uz.asp
    I transcribed SP 8000. Duh! Nice camera!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Looks good Frank
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Like the pen Frank. Looks good with the burl. Seems like the copper tip and the burl match pretty well.

As far as the picture goes seems like maybe there is just some kind of setting issue, huh? Just seems really 'grainy'. I know you're a photo joe, so I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Like the pen Frank. Looks good with the burl. Seems like the copper tip and the burl match pretty well.

As far as the picture goes seems like maybe there is just some kind of setting issue, huh? Just seems really 'grainy'. I know you're a photo joe, so I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    Yes, that lack of sharpness has me bumfuzzled as well. I used the stabilizing feature and macro feature. I wasn't real close, so it should have focused. And, with 14 mp, that puppy should be sharp as broke glass. More experimenting to come.
    Thanks for your comment. I like the burl/copper combo also.

Frank, looks good to me. I've seen cartridge pens in antler, various woods and acrylics. Bear Tooth Woods ( http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/ ) has camouflage acrylics that I think would look great.

I personally would have used that blank on a brass cartridge, and a different (probably lighter wood) on the nickel, but that's just my opinion and you do know what opinions are like.

Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Yes, that lack of sharpness has me bumfuzzled as well. I used the stabilizing feature and macro feature. I wasn't real close, so it should have focused. And, with 14 mp, that puppy should be sharp as broke glass. More experimenting to come.
    Thanks for your comment. I like the burl/copper combo also.
    Hi Frank; I see the macro focus of your camera is 1 cm (<1/2") and the normal focus is 18 cm (about 7"). I think your problem is in your words "I wasn't real close". That's what macro is for, real close!
    Mack C. in Brooklin ON

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico View Post
    Frank, looks good to me. I've seen cartridge pens in antler, various woods and acrylics. Bear Tooth Woods ( http://www.beartoothwoods.com/catalog/ ) has camouflage acrylics that I think would look great.

I personally would have used that blank on a brass cartridge, and a different (probably lighter wood) on the nickel, but that's just my opinion and you do know what opinions are like.

Tony
    Thanks. Those are the kinds of comments I'm looking for.