How much time do you spend? For those that sell what they make.

Rob Keeble

Are you one of the people that sell what you make? Either as a pro, semi pro or even crafter?

I just wondered how much time you devote to the aspect of marketing your business.

Do you have an actual marketing plan and strategy?

By Marketing I dont mean going out and selling or bidding on jobs. I dont mean meeting people at the fair or in your shop and talking to them.

I mean Marketing your business?

Would be interested to hear your comments or recieve pms from you if you dont want to comment publicly.

Just doing some small business research for my own curiosity. Would like to get a feel for what you think about this subject.

I have sold some pens. Have sold quite a few in the past year (400-450). That is part of the reason for my new shop build last year. When the house renovation is complete, I would in my retirement, like to sell from my woodshop. Thus the reason for no web site or plan at this time.
I am interested though, are you going to be offering marketing advice?

Rob asked:

Are you one of the people that sell what you make? Either as a pro, semi pro or even crafter?

Yes.

I just wondered how much time you devote to the aspect of marketing your business.
Almost none. I mail to an art gallery that does the actual selling.
Do you have an actual marketing plan and strategy?

See above.

By Marketing I dont mean going out and selling or bidding on jobs. I dont mean meeting people at the fair or in your shop and talking to them.

I mean Marketing your business?
Not really. But, with my stabilizing I might start promoting, mostly through forums.
I had intended to travel selling my duck calls but the expense of travel, motels, food, table space, etc. made that a losing proposition.

I do sell a few things direct to people. That is all mostly thru word of mouth or to friends. I spend lots of time with friends so I talk about my work quite a bit. I also have pieces at a store and they handle all the sales. I've done a few shows, but other things have come up so not as many as I would like.

As far as marketing, I really don't do much. At one time, I wanted to do quite a bit via local networking groups, but again other things have come up and I don't have the time to do so. Heck I haven't really been in the shop much since November because of the terrible winter, an injury and now to many outdoor projects. I do have a show coming up in a few weeks with my dad...maybe that will get me back in the swing of things to start marketing again??:dunno:

I'm not sure if you would call it a "marketing plan" or not, but I run a web site, I have listings on ETSY, ARTFIRE and 1000Markets. I generally spend one day a week updating and stroking the sites... not every week, but most weeks. Usually my Sunday activity. I also do a fair number of art/craft shows, most notably the Saturday Farmers markets at Market Square in Knoxville and last year the Sunday Farmers Market in Chattanooga (Not this year.. too much work and too hard on LOML... sitting around isn't her fortay and there's a lot of sitting a some of those shows...

What do you consider marketing, Rob? The things you ruled out are marketing. I used to do woodworking as a full-time (+) business.

They all take time. And they take evaluation time as to their effectiveness. Therefore, that ate up more time.

It is hard to say in terms of hours. For example, I sold a lot of stuff doing classes, so was that teaching or was that marketing? It was a bit of both. See what I mean?

I tried to spend some time on it each day. The trick is to find every viable medium to reach potential customers. Then the variables kick in; cost, development time, maintenance time, effectiveness, etc.

I used to teach a college class on Woodworking as a Business. Class was always full. Only two students over the years actually did the work required. Everyone else had the attitude, "But I just want to make the stuff."

To be in business, marketing is a priority. If no one knows you have it, no one will buy it.

Your question rules out some legitimate marketing activity, and is very, very broad. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

If you are serious, go to your local community college and take some classes in marketing. You'd be amazed at what's possible, what is costs (or doesn't).

One last comment; do you need a plan? Answer: yes. But you need a informed plan.

But I can't cram a whole semester's worth of teaching in here.