Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting to hate Ridgid

Starting to hate Ridgid

Just about to the point to where I hate my Ridgid table saw. I have a 4511. The first one I had broke to arbor shaft on May 5, 09. That was either the first or second to break, and what caused the recall. Now today I am making a 30 degree bevel rip. I started the saw and hear a ticking sound. I shut it down and move blade by hand. Nothing. Start again and sound is worse. Shut it down and pull the throat plate and find this.

The bolt for the trunnion had backed out and was hitting the dang blade. Well I tightened it up and went on to finish what I was working on. Don't know how much more I can take from these Ridgid tools. I found another problem today as well. Might put that in another post. Going to take some brain power to fix this one. Might just go get me a Uni.

Well that bites. I'd be interested to see the details about the other problem you mentioned. I've had zero problems with my TS3650, but if there's a specific model with problems, we can all benefit from knowing about it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I've used lock tight thread locker in similar situations.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

When you find things like this use blue loctite. I have a Craftsman fence that I read all kinds of bad posts about turned out where the fence joins the guide shoe that fits the rail were big allen headed bolts & this is where it would always come loose, Well when I assembled my fence I had used loctite & couldn't figure out what everyone was complaining about. I got rid of the saw but kept the fence it is now on my Dad's 1950's Craftsman saw a much better saw I might add & works great.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Loctite. I like red.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Loctite. I like red.
    I tried not to type this....but....I just have to....

I guess there isn't a loctite green.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Vaughn, not a lot of details left. Ridgid/ TTI had a problem with the way the ends of the shaft were heat treated. That is why some saws were recalled and some were not. They narrowed down the dates in question and went from there. I took mine back and exchanged it for a different one, before the recall. Luckily I got a good date code. The 4511 was stopped being sold in HD , now they have returned at a lower price. Not sure if the stop was because of the shaft or some deal problems between Ridgid and HD.

Here is a picture of where it broke.

Thats a 3/4 dado with out the washer and it broke right at the end of the nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    I tried not to type this....but....I just have to....

I guess there isn't a loctite green.
    http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadlocker-Green-Wicking-bottle/dp/B0002KKTRM

Just for you Jeff:
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 04-28-2010 at 08:48 PM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I've wondered lately if the re-appearance of the 4511 isn't due to the problems with Steel City, and the guys from the old Delta group that started it, and them leaving and someone else taking over the company. This change in leadership could have caused the saw not to ship for a while, and Ridgid may not have known if they would ever see it again. Anyone know if Sears has run into supply problems with their saws that we think are built by the same factory as the Steel City hybrid units? If they have, it would lend more credence to this thought. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Threadlocker-Green-Wicking-bottle/dp/B0002KKTRM

Just for you Jeff:

LOL, we used to use that stuff on locks and lockers for pranks. We'd use it to seize up something we didn't want someone to open ever again, it would work it's way through the tumblers...

Seriously the blue loctite is excellent for preventing backouts, but where you might want to take it apart later. The red loctite is for permanent installations.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem