Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flag Case build

Flag Case build

Anybody have a flag case plan? I need to build one. Friends father just past. Do I finish out the inside or leave natural? Hearing different opinions on this. I have never been in his parents house, so what wood should I use? I know bunch of questions.

I tried the search, but my search fu is weak.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I've got my dads and it's made of Maple. I've seen em made of walnut. yes the inside should be finished.

Here a quick sketchup dwg. It's 23 x 18x18 and 3" deep. 3/4" material.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flag case.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Here's a picture for ya.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flag Case.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Thanks Don.

Here are some free plans Steve, best of luck http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/i...earch=flag+box

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Anybody have a flag case plan? I need to build one. Friends father just past. Do I finish out the inside or leave natural? Hearing different opinions on this. I have never been in his parents house, so what wood should I use? I know bunch of questions.

I tried the search, but my search fu is weak.
    Steve don't have a plain ether,but here's the one the national gaurd gave us for our son. I can take some measurements if ya want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004 [800x600].JPG  

I made this one of Padouk. If you want the exact dimensions, let me know and I'll look for my original sketch. I sprayed the flag case both inside and outside. I did it that way 'just because'. Generally, the flag fits in there snug, but not tight and all possible chances of seeing the inside of the case are pretty remote.

Tony B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo 9.JPG  

the reason I feel the inside should be finished is so that the rough lumber cannot tear the flag if it catches on the fabric and the flag is taken out for any reason.

One more question. How is back attached? I figure rabbit to make flush, but what holds it in place?

Yup it's an 1/8" Rabbit w/ and 1/8 piece if BB as the back. Ya know we need pitures when you build it..