Thread: I designed and built a "thingy" to display decorative hockey pucks

Toronto, Ontario, CANADA

I designed and built a "thingy" to display decorative hockey pucks

Last Thursday afternoon, when I was taking my soon to be 8 grandson Ethan to his swimming lesson, he said “In 9 days it is my birthday, I wonder if someone is making something for me”. Both Ethan and his sister Isla really value home-made gifts and it is some time since I have made anything for him. I said that it was unlikely that I would be making him a gift this time and he was noticeably disappointed. So, although saying nothing more, I started racking my brain to think of something appropriate. Then, when reading him a bedtime story, I noticed a pile of souvenir pucks piled on his headboard. I “borrowed” one of them without Ethan noticing and started thinking about some sort of thing that I could build to display several pucks. After a number of false starts, it occurred to me that I have a large Forstner bit with the same diameter as a puck and so I could make indents to hold the pucks in some appropriate wood. In my scraps bins, I found some great ¼ sawn oak shorts. I drilled a test hole and attached a puck using Velcro tape.

Attachment 45119 Attachment 45114

In order to form a panel which is to stand upright and hold several pucks, I milled some boards to 18 millimetre thickness then glued them together utilizing a few dowels:

Attachment 45115

After running the assembled panel through my planer to 15 millimetre thickness, I cut it to its (almost) final size, then drilled the puck-holding indents to a depth of 11 millimetres on my drill press:

Attachment 45116

Indents to insert Velcro tape were chiseled into the bottom of the drilled puck-holding indents:

Attachment 45117

I milled another piece of oak to 25 millimetre thickness then cut a groove along its length to hold the upright portion of the display:

Attachment 45118

The base section is actually heavier than the upright section. Three screws from underneath hold it in position. Four puck holding holes were drilled in the base, giving the entire unit the capacity of 15 pucks. The unit was finished with three coats of Minwax wipe-on poly.

I snuck over to Ethan’s bedroom while he was at school today and made sure that all the pucks would fit. Here is a photo:

Attachment 45120

So, in three days time, Ethan will be getting a birthday gift that someone made for him. Actually, I know of two homemade gifts he will be getting because Margaret is currently knitting up a storm on another gift for Ethan.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 04-29-2010 at 02:30 AM.
    Cheers, Frank

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Thats cool frank, arn't grandkids great... What are you gonna do when he gets more pucks..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
    Thanks Don and you are certainly right about grandchildren -they keep me on the hop.

He already has more pucks, so Ethan will have to be selective -or he will have to make something himnself to hold the others.
    Cheers, Frank

Reno NV
    Very thoughtful, personal and cool. I'm sure he'll love it!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Santa Claus, In
    Very nice and good that the grandkids appreciate handmade vs store bought.

That's the kind of project/present that I like, quick, simple and effective. You nailed it again Frank
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Great project Frank There is something special in making stuff for Grandkids.
    Faith, Hope & Charity