Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chain Saw Grinder Question ?

Chain Saw Grinder Question ?

I have been thinking of getting a chain saw bench grinder for my chain saw's. I know there are hand files etc -----. I really like the speed and simplicity of the bench grinder and I do not want to fool around with the hand files and jigs.
    When I take mine in to have them sharpened I see the guy behind the counter using a bench mounted grinder and he sets it quickly and zips along with this thing and within a couple mins the chain is sharpened. They also now have increased their price from $7.00 to $9.00 per chain. The other places nearby are charging as much or $10.00.
    So, I figure its time I find my own way to resharpen. I found this link but I thought i would see what other turners are using in the way of bench grinders.........better deals out there maybe???

Oregon Bench Mounted Mini Grinder (115 Volt) at Bailysonline.com and it sells for $189.00

Click here: Bailey's - Oregon Bench Mounted Mini Grinder

Thoughts ???

Thanks Dan
    Last edited by Dan Mosley; 04-29-2010 at 03:36 AM.
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Chainsaw bench grinders are not all that great they shorten the life of your chain that's why loggers usually do it by hand, I use one that has a guide that clamps to the bar. Also the grinder sharpens to a vertical straight edge where as the file gives you a curved edge which stays sharp longer & cuts quicker. Lets face it 2-3 swipes with a file doesn't take that long to gain all of the above.

http://www.tiltonequipment.com/html/...ngtools_92.htm

This is the kind of tool to use skip the grinder that is unless you like a chain that get dull faster & buying replacement chains because of getting ground away wasting your chain also having to sharpen it more often thus wasting your chain.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

This is the one I use. It takes maybe ten minutes to do a chain on a 16" bar.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Chainsaw grinder question

Sorry folks,but I have to disagree on part of this.I'v been sharpening chains for well over 40+ yrs and when used properly grinders won't shortin the life of the chain any quicker than a file.I am not taking anything away from using a file.When I am (also loggers) in the field,then I use a file sometimes,but usualy I will take a few extra chains with me,then when I get several chains dull,I will set up the grinder and sharpen them all at one time.Also with a properly setup grinder you will get a more precise sharpening,whereas unless you have a bit of experiance, after a few sharpenings with a file the teeth will not be uniform,causing the saw to work harder and not cut as well.When working for a living we had a profesional grinder,but I got one from Harbor freight that was on sale for half price 39.00 about 5 yrs ago and it works just fine.

Here's a link to the HF version.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electri...ner-93213.html

(Wow! Harbor freight redesigned their website and it's a huge improvement.)
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I have a HF chain grinder, it worked wonderful until I wore out the plastic parts. It did a great job for the money. Heck after five chains it was paid for, think I got three years out of it. I still jury rig it but have been looking at Northern Tools catalog as they have three or four different ones and they look to be less plastic.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    This is the one I use. It takes maybe ten minutes to do a chain on a 16" bar.
    Jim that looks pretty slick... does it work really well? I have a hard time getting my chains sharp... it's just not a talent I've ever been able to develop... would save me lots of frustration...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Came back late. The HF model, also sold by others ($25 to $40 same rig) is just fine. As said, saves you money after just a few chains, when worn out, throw away and buy another.
    Some swear by hand filing. I swear at it. Even using guides, free hand, special cuss words, can never get satisfactory results.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I bought the little Dremel attachment a few years ago. Don't use a chainsaw often, so I've only used the thing one time. Worked great! Has 3 different grinding stones for different angle cuts depending on the chain. Was cheap enough too. About 15.00 IIRC. And I used a cordless Dremel to do it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Jim that looks pretty slick... does it work really well? I have a hard time getting my chains sharp... it's just not a talent I've ever been able to develop... would save me lots of frustration...
    It works quite well. You just have to count your strokes, making sure to take the same number on each tooth, to keep the teeth even.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!