planer woes

Frank Fusco

Can't remember what I ran through my planer last. But, it musta been real dirty and gritty.
Today, started a project making some cutting boards. Intend to use maple and walnut.
Ran a piece of the maple through and 'Oh Oh' :eek: this happened.
Turned off (and unplugged) reached in and felt blades. More "Oh Oh" :eek:
Those blades are gouged up something just awful.
I think they are reversible but the hard part is getting them out. Never did that before. I keep my owners manuals so will be doing some reading before I get out the tools.
This is a downer.

Attachments

• planer woes.jpg
    planer woes.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 71
On my Delta Snipemaster planer, the blades are surprisingly easy to remove and reverse (or replace). I suspect you'll find it easier than you anticipate. ;)

Probably won't be as bad as you think to change them out. I dreaded changing them on my Dewalt, but it actually goes pretty quickly. Almost as fast as the cash drains out of my wallet buying new blades... 10" wide hard maple can put a hurtin on the planer blades fast....

Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think.... I still have to change the blades in my Delta after a piece of wood shattered and sent chips between the blade and blade guard... broke the blad and bent the guard... also put a strain one of the guard bolts so that I'm having trouble getting it out. That all happend just before my surgery last Sept and I couldn't do any lifting for a couple of months, then other things entered my mind and I forgot I need to fix it... guess I need to get off the duff and try to get it fixed soon...

Good luck with the repairs..

Just took a look at the instructions. Looks about the same as my old delta lunchbox planer.

Should be a piece of cake.

Only 2 blades to change and you can get them resharpened.

I did read the instructions. And I did find the little wrench that was provided when the planer was new. Have a small drawer just for things like that.
Took off the deflector hood and 'VOILA' there is the cutter head and buncha small nuts that need to be loosened. As others said, should be easy to take out. I don't know if the damaged edges can be sharpened. :doh: They are pretty sorry looking. I'll try to take pic tomorrow. I can reverse them but will also probably buy a stand by pair.

Hey Frank,

Why don't you try what John suggested for now to take the first rough cuts off the wood. Then you can flip the blades over to do your finish cuts. That would get the most milage out of this edge before going on to a new edge. I did that with my Delta 12". As long as the blade edges are already dinged, just get a little more rough use out of them on this wood, after you do the dirt removal suggested by all, first, before going to new edges. JMHO.

Aloha, Tony

Hey Frank,

Why don't you try what John suggested for now to take the first rough cuts off the wood. Then you can flip the blades over to do your finish cuts. That would get the most milage out of this edge before going on to a new edge. I did that with my Delta 12". As long as the blade edges are already dinged, just get a little more rough use out of them on this wood, after you do the dirt removal suggested by all, first, before going to new edges. JMHO.

Aloha, Tony

If his Griz is like my little Delta and has indexing pins, I don't know of he can offset a blade or not. I don't think there's enough slop in mine when the blade is on the pins to get enough offset to compensate for a nicked blade.

The 'dings' in the blades are not consistent in size or placement. The last pass caused the board to go sideways. Since I haven't removed the blades yet I can try a couple more passes to remove roughness.
Issamess though. :(

Got one blade removed. Actually not a difficult process once the gut frustration passes.
It looks pretty bad. I did not attempt further planing.
Dunno if it can be resharpened in this condition. :dunno:
Fortunately, these blades are reversible so I now have an opportunity to completely destroy them. :eek:
Nonetheless, I'll be ordering a back up set.

Attachments

• planer blade.jpg
    planer blade.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 19
Don't recall last project where I used the plane. :huh:
My most common woods are walnut, maple and Osage Orange.
I do have some heavily spalted (rotten?) Red Bud that I may have played with. But most of that has been drying for two years and will get cut up as soon as I install my two year old, still in the box :eek: , riser for my bandsaw.
But, with the blades reversed it makes that maple and walnut smooth as a baby's butt. :)