Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is what Noah used for his ark

This is what Noah used for his ark

Im not sure if my next project will be easy.
    I cant lift this white oak myself, havent figured out how to cut it down to size yet, so I can handle it. 3x12x96, the floor piece is 2x12x96, much easier to handle.
    I dont know what I was thinking when I let the guy load 100 linear feet of 3x12 white oak. What would I use it for besides building a wooden ship?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 203 (Medium).jpg   bed 204 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 04-29-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    What would I use it for besides building a wooden ship?
    Legs!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I was going to make my son a dining table out of white oak and walnut, but I have so much maple, tons of it, tons of 6/4, 8/4 and 10/4, so I might go with maple instead.
    Im thinking this heavy stuff for a table near my stairs, since my son is taking the player piano with him, Ill have an empty wall.

With the boards for my stalled table project, I tend to do more 'sliding' from one flat surface to another, rather than lift them to move them.

I've got a couple of ridgid flip top supports I use to facilitate the moving around...

Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    If it's Noah's Ark wood you don't measure it in inches, you measure it in cubits..
    Last edited by Don Baer; 04-30-2010 at 02:27 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    If it's Noah's Ark wood you don't measure it in inches, you measure it in cubits..

or reeds or spans
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post

And wasn't the wood called gopher wood?
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Recently, someone sent me an e-mail about a guy who built a genuine, full sized, ark using old methods and tools. It was one of about 50 I get every morning and did not save. Pretty fascinating. I'll do a search and if I find will post a link.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

found it Noah's arc

"Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    That is amasing Frank, thanks for sharing and it is woodworking..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward