This is what Noah used for his ark

allen levine

Im not sure if my next project will be easy.
I cant lift this white oak myself, havent figured out how to cut it down to size yet, so I can handle it. 3x12x96, the floor piece is 2x12x96, much easier to handle.
I dont know what I was thinking when I let the guy load 100 linear feet of 3x12 white oak. What would I use it for besides building a wooden ship?

Attachments

• bed 203 (Medium).jpg
    bed 203 (Medium).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 134
  • bed 204 (Medium).jpg
    bed 204 (Medium).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I was going to make my son a dining table out of white oak and walnut, but I have so much maple, tons of it, tons of 6/4, 8/4 and 10/4, so I might go with maple instead.
Im thinking this heavy stuff for a table near my stairs, since my son is taking the player piano with him, Ill have an empty wall.

With the boards for my stalled table project, I tend to do more 'sliding' from one flat surface to another, rather than lift them to move them.

I've got a couple of ridgid flip top supports I use to facilitate the moving around...

44444b07-62dd-4286-97bb-c28194f31f7c_300.jpg

Recently, someone sent me an e-mail about a guy who built a genuine, full sized, ark using old methods and tools. It was one of about 50 I get every morning and did not save. Pretty fascinating. I'll do a search and if I find will post a link.

I cut it all apart, edge jointed and then face jointed, got most of it planed down to about the thickness I want. Alan suggested I dont plane to final size, to plane a bit then let it sit for a few days, then plane it down again.

I am killing myself in the shop.

I had the dust bag blow out on me. I shut down the switch, pulled out the dust machine from its spot, moved some stuff so I could go in to pull the plug.
Pulled the plug, my daughter had just came home from school, so I went out of the garage to see how her day went, she was rushing by, said shes off to run. Ok, (she doesnt take after me), back to the machine. I noticed some dust blowing up through my tablesaw, even with the blast gate closed, so like last time, I thought I had a clog somewhere.(it was just the power of the planer fan blowing the dust through the lines)
I reached in, its been a few minutes since I shut down, but that blade was still spinning, well, at least until it smashed into my right hand.
That stings. Alot. Alot of little smash cuts, by the time my daughter came out with her jogging attire, my hand was nice and red, so in she went and we used up the last bandaids. I went through 30 bandaids in one week.
Thats alot of booboos.
My right hand is beginning to look like I put it into a sausage machine, the kind you shove meat into and crank.
Its pretty sad, if you think about it. College educated, working with woodworking machines for almost 4 years, why didnt I pull the top hose off and look at the propeller first? :dunno:(stupidity, carelessness, daydreaming, moronic, Im sure theres plenty more words to describe my actions today.)

these heavy pieces of wood werent that much fun running through jointerbed 208 (Medium).jpg

WELL, when your begin to ache- remember that it would ache more during the winter-time/if your winters are cold

Yikes Allen, I end up cleaning out my DC blower fairly often - and getting bitten by that monster is one of my fears. Hopefully all those cuts were superficial. Don't you just love moving white oak around?

Sorry to hear about the hand. I did something similar about 9 years ago on a edgebanding machine. When one of the motors that trims the ends flush would jam with off cuts the machine would shut down. Well I was in a hurry that day and as I was walking by the machine it shut down so I raised the hood and reached around to turn the 5" sawblade by hand to free it up. Well to my surprise it was still spinning.:eek: Left a 3/4" long cut on my right index finger near the tip. Takes a while for them to stop when they are spinnig at 28,000 rpm. I was so mad at myself for not taking a few seconds to look first.:doh:

Looks like you got a good start and I'll be watching.:lurk: Got to get back to sanding and staining.:eek: Did I mention I hate sanding and staining?:wave:

before I glue up the mahogany to the white oak, will I have a problem gluing up the edge of the white oak with the face side of the mahogany?movement of wood?
(as in the picture, didnt glue the mahogany yet)

Attachments

• bed 209 (Medium).jpg
    bed 209 (Medium).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 13
  • bed 210 (Medium).jpg
    bed 210 (Medium).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 10
Allen, there may be some different movement - if they are perfectly flush today, they may not be perfectly flush in some months, but I don't think you'll have a problem with the joint failing.

not easy for me to work with. white oak is stubborn. edge jointed these wide pieces, I even went nuts and ended up using my smoother hand plane trying to get rid of the small chip outs from the jointer, uh, edge planing 2.5 inch thick white oak, I have a new respect for you hand tool guys.(ken, I really need to burnish/sharpen the smoother blade first, I might have to send it to you)
Took the clamps off so I could start all over again with the top.
Top wasnt bad, one pass through the jointer no tearout.
I wont be able to lift this little foyer table once I start putting it together.
I thought I might experiment with some simple inlay on the top. Just a square border, if it doesnt come out ok, Ill flip the top. I have to practice, I dont have a clue nor do I even think I have the right bit.
Ill play with a solid maple dovetail drawer tomorrow or thursday. This is an experiment build.
If this stuff is boring to some, I do apologize. IF the camera is with me, I take a shot. (people have often told me here to lose my camera)

I have 42 or so linear feet of 3x12-13.5 white oak. A tiny bit of checking at the ends, but overall in good shape.
If I dont have much sucess with this little table, I wont go on and make a dining table with the same thickness, Im going to try to sell the white oak and put the money towards cherry or honduran mahogany. White oak in that size gets a pretty penny up here.I want to see how big a hassle this is first.

Attachments

• bed 213 (Medium).jpg
    bed 213 (Medium).jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 19
  • bed 214 (Medium).jpg
    bed 214 (Medium).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 17
  • bed 215 (Medium).jpg
    bed 215 (Medium).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: