Thread: Review: Unlocking the Secrets of Traditional Design

Review: Unlocking the Secrets of Traditional Design

I recently bought several (OK, maybe more than several) woodworking DVD’s. Last night I viewed “Unlocking the Secrets of Traditional Design with George Walker”. It was a DVD that I had wanted to buy for sometime now.

I don’t know about you, but my method of designing something involves a lot of trial and error. I sketch out some vague idea and then spend a considerable amount of time erasing and sketching over and over until the proportions or form of the piece looks right to me. I don’t really have any clue as to what proportion the table top should be to the apron as an example, except by trying all the different options. If this sounds a lot like how you design furniture, then you need to get this DVD.

Who knew that there were actual ratios and orders that would allow me to abandon my helter skelter approach. George Walker shows you how to approach furniture design in a systematic way.

Check out these links to other woodworker’s (more accomplished without a doubt) reviews of this DVD.

http://logancabinetshoppe.weebly.com/1/post/2009/09/unlocking-the-secrets-of-traditional-design-with-george-walker.html

http://bigdaveswoodworking.blogspot.com/2009/05/dvd-review-unlocking-secrets-of.html

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Review+Unlocking+The+Secrets+Of+Traditional+Design .aspx

My experience with most instructional DVD’s is there is very little meat in them to warrant repeated viewings. Not this DVD. It will take many viewing to actually grasp all the information that resides in it.

George Walker is coming to the Port Townsend School of Woodworking in late August to teach a week long class concerning these concepts. I should just have my pay check direct deposited to the school. I just don’t think I can pass up the opportunity.

George also has a new DVD out called “Unlocking the Secrets of Traditional Design: Moldings”. That is the DVD playing tonight at my house.

if you lived closer you could sell tickets and recoup your expense on the movies i would be glad to buyone from you
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

i usually try to stick close to the golden mean when i build something like a table. then again, i also subscribe to the "if it looks right, it is right" approach.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i usually try to stick close to the golden mean when i build something like a table. then again, i also subscribe to the "if it looks right, it is right" approach.
    The golden mean is only scratching the surface, Dan. Wait until you see what the classic orders can do for you.

While I know the golden rule, I never apply it conciously, maybe I should
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

how much is this golden graile dvd bill, and do you have a link to the place others can get it?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    how much is this golden graile dvd bill, and do you have a link to the place others can get it?

The DVD was produced by Lie Nielsen, but you can get it from several sources including Amazon.com.

The price is $25. www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1320

The watched other the DVD (Unlocking the Secrets of Traditional Design: Moldings) and again I was amazed at the information that I got out of it. Bascially it takes the first DVD's methods of design and applies it to moldings. Both DVD's start out with general overviews and then specifics. The best part is the last part where he shows you a practical application of the methods, such as designing a furniture piece or in case of the last DVD, some molding.

All of this dovetailed very well with two other DVD's that I viewed:

Traditional Molding Techniques: The Basics

Traditional Molding Techniques: Cornice Moldings

Both of these DVD are by Don McConnell, who is one of the partners of Clark & Williams (the wooden plane makers). These are wonderful DVDs that show you how to use wooden rounds and hollows to make your own moldings. Well worth the price ($25 each).