plane iron trouble..

larry merlau

well i got a problem, i got a new setup for my stanley 5 1/2, but it doesnt fit the sides of the plane body. the mouth is right but the sides are to tight.. the iron measures 2.375 and if i go to my no. 7 it has a 2.625 iron in it. so can i take and grind down the new iron to fit or should i grind off the sides of the plane body to make it fit.. the body is marred already so its just a user not a collectible. and if any one has a 2.375 lever cap i need one this modge podge had a 2.25 lever cap on it. but a 2.375 mouth..

Hi Larry,

First, your number 7 should take that 2.375" blade -- the 2.625 blade fits the number 8.

Next, sounds like your 5-1/2 needs a 2-1/4" blade. IIRC, you picked up the 2.375" blade and breaker in my garage. So if you'd like to return it, I can replace it for you with the proper one. (Those 5-1/2's are sneaky.)

Ron

Hi Larry,

First, your number 7 should take that 2.375" blade -- the 2.625 blade fits the number 8.

Next, sounds like your 5-1/2 needs a 2-1/4" blade. IIRC, you picked up the 2.375" blade and breaker in my garage. So if you'd like to return it, I can replace it for you with the proper one. (Those 5-1/2's are sneaky.)

Ron

well maybe my no.7 is a no. 8:huh: i know i wasnt accusing you i thought i had picked the right door:) and to send back and forth isnt gonna make either of us rich:) if it wont hurt it to grind it down some i can get it done i think..

Hmm, Friday nite. Usually the time my credit card comes out of my wallet... Think I need to make me another wooden plane. Maybe a bigun...

Larry, I'd rather grind the blade than the plane body, even if it is a user. I would grind the blade at the same time than the chipbreaker, although Ron may have a different and more knowledgeable idea than this.:dunno:

I would take up Rons very gracious offer and post him my blade. You do live in the same country and a small flat bubble bag for a plane aint gonna cost that much, on the other hand your fine plane blade might have its heat treatment characteristics messed up when you grind a bunch off the side. Just my 5 cents :):wave:

I would take up Rons very gracious offer and post him my blade. You do live in the same country and a small flat bubble bag for a plane aint gonna cost that much, on the other hand your fine plane blade might have its heat treatment characteristics messed up when you grind a bunch off the side. Just my 5 cents :):wave:

Agree, but Larry is more stubborn than I am, and if he says he's not going to send it, ( despite the offer) he won't.:):)