Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early fathers day

Early fathers day

Well loml got me an early fathers day present. She went to harbor freight and got me the multi tool. Tried it out on a piece of plywood and it had no problem cutting a sguare hole in it. I've used the fein at work and to me the fein is only slightly smoother than the harbor freight version.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-30-10 006 (750 x 563).jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	45159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-30-10 007 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	45157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-30-10 008 (800 x 600).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	45158

I got the dremel version of it off of 'woot' and I wish I had gotten the HF model. Not only is the HF cheaper, but they have a ton of blades and accessories for it (that don't fit my dremel version).

They are a pretty neat and useful tool!

Congrats!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

table covering? is that carpet on there that is lightly toasted or something else???
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

There are a bunch of those on the market. They run from about $20.00 up to hundreds. Wat does a $200.00 one do a $20.00 won't?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    table covering? is that carpet on there that is lightly toasted or something else???
    It's a piece of leftover carpet that I put down when I stain doors, drawer fronts and shelving. I have another piece the same size that I use just for sanding parts on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    There are a bunch of those on the market. They run from about $20.00 up to hundreds. Wat does a $200.00 one do a $20.00 won't?
    My point exactly Frank. I almost bought the fein a year ago but something told me to wait. I got to use the fein at my new job and thats when I mentioned to loml that it would be a handy tool to have. She cut the coupon from harbor freight out of one of my magazines and the rest is history. Walked in to the shop yesterday and there was a package gift wrapped on my workbench. For once I had no clue as to what she had bought for me for the first time.

Cool, a square hole saw. I have always heard about those

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    My point exactly Frank. I almost bought the fein a year ago but something told me to wait. I got to use the fein at my new job and thats when I mentioned to loml that it would be a handy tool to have. She cut the coupon from harbor freight out of one of my magazines and the rest is history. Walked in to the shop yesterday and there was a package gift wrapped on my workbench. For once I had no clue as to what she had bought for me for the first time.
    Super. The good wife is also a smart wife.
    Now use the savings to take both of you out to dinner.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Alan I have been fascinated by that tool since coming to North America. Seen the Fein so many times and always thought mmmm that tool looks like one of these gimicks that they sell on the TV. Ya know the kind that look great but when you get it and try it, it aint so.

I am delighted that you got one and approve of it as a worthwhile tool. Now i can add it to my tool list.

As a matter of interest how deep do you think that blade you used in the plywood would cut?

How does it cut? by that i mean is the action a vibration side to side or is there a little bit of a cam in the vibration.

Compared to the Fein where to you notice the roughness in the vibration on you hand or in the actual cut neatness?

From the gossip i have in my head i understand these units are on the market now because the original patent for the Fein tool has expired.

You got a great wife that gets you tools like that. But i guess she sees the quality of her kitchen and figures you a keeper.
    cheers

How about the noise Alan? I've heard the HF is very loud, but I wonder about how the HF and Fein compare. I have no problem with loud--that's what hearing protection if for. Just wondering???
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi