New Organ Build Topsy 3

Jay
Brian asked "is that was oak you used for you stiffeners" What did you use? Also from what I can tell from the drawings and the pictures, the stiffeners on "C" and "D" are 3/4"x5/8', is that right? if so is the 3/4 the width or height? Plan to start building next week and want to make sure I am doing it right the first time.

If I remember right I used some soft Maple I had laying around I would try to use some kind of closed grain wood if you can but if oak is all you have the use it. 3/4 W 5/8 tall

Jay
Thanks for the info. I have hard maple and poplar I can use. I like your inlet and outlet copper elbows with the flanges and I was wondering where you got them. Thanks Again.

Hi Jay
I was wondering where you got the SD MIDI controller you have I your video on YOUTUBE? I like the idea of being able to build it into the organ. Is it good as the one you sell? How about price wise? Also where did you get your decoder board? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Bob

Bob I went with the ReadeR in the end the one that was build-in was a ReadeR prototype and had some problems. As far as a decoder board J-Omega is what I used but as I understand it he no long ships the US. Bill Klinger now makes a driver board that I think is way better than the J-Omega and is cheaper and of course made in the USA its what I will use in all my future organs. He is the one that makes the ReadeR also. I think his website is Klingerorgan.com let him know I sent ya.

Just started my bellows construction. Have all the plywood cut and I am working on the "A" Board and I have a question. After reading everything on the bellows and going over the construction drawings several times I can not find the length of the stiffening battens for the "A" board. I am "assuming" that it is the same length as the "C" battens (+) plus 3 inches but I am not positive, so I thought I would ask the people that have already built this part.
A little hint that I got from Ron Walters when I was building my Senior 20 is to us a round stone in a drill or Dremel to chamfer the holes for the leather valves, sure beats doing them with a piece of sand paper on your finger. He is on YouTube and built a Senior 20 from star to finish and has many good ideas and hints that can be used with any organ build. Hope this helps someone.

Bellow Stiffeners

Jay
Apparently my new updated drawings are different than yours. Also my full size drawings are no ware near the right size. John even says in his book that the drawings may not be right because of copying errors.
See my attachment.
Bob

Attachments

• Page #1.pdf
    242 KB · Views: 40
Jay
After reading your message over and over I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about the wood stiffener battens for the bellows board and I think you misunderstood and thought I was talking about the card stiffeners for the bellows leather? Sorry maybe I should try to explain myself better.
Thanks
Bob

Jay
After reading your message over and over I think we are talking about two different things. I am talking about the wood stiffener battens for the bellows board and I think you misunderstood and thought I was talking about the card stiffeners for the bellows leather? Sorry maybe I should try to explain myself better.
Thanks
Bob

Yep I misunderstood completely I seen stiffeners and my mind took me to the card stiffeners :doh:
The boards on the bottom of of "A" are 3/4 x3/4 and the length will vary per install so just make sure to make the long enough so you can trim them down when you install the bellows in the case
Sorry about the confusion. :rolleyes:

Check page 2. The top drawing for "A" shows the battens, stiffeners, at 7/8" X 7/8". "B" and "C" are 3/4" X 3/4" while "D" is 3/4" X 5/8". The length of them on "A" is about 25". Have I now confused you?😳

Hi Jay
On page 4 you show a picture of how the two internal sealing leather is folded back and glued on board "B". Where it is folded does that get glued to the outside leather? I couldn't figure it out in Johns book. John just says to glue it to the side plates and the center board.
Thanks
Bob