New Organ Build Topsy 3

VERY nice Jay! I have mine "working" but what comes out so far is is not quite music, still needs more work before I can post a video. Where are you getting your music from? Merry Christmas and good luck with your builds to all.

A very happy new year to you all , we saw in 2011 with a fantastic fireworks display from our Sky tower here in Auckland,WOW!!!.
Just thought i would show you what santa brought me for Xmas,:thumb::thumb: unfortunately Santa didnt pay for them;)
just waiting on some leather to arrive and then I can start covering the bellows,
cheers
Graham

Attachments

• organ 006.jpgsmall.jpg
    organ 006.jpgsmall.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 129
Alright Graham keep us posted on your progress with some pictures.

I am starting to straighten up my wiring while I am waiting for my solenoids to show up. Once I get the woodblocks set up and working then everything will come apart for finial paint and finish.

Jay

Here's a thought for the "threaded plate" to anchor the bellows. I plan on using Tee nuts instead of the plate. No need to cut, drill and tap the plates. I have used them for years and they work great. Any thoughts as to why they would not work?

Hi Harold
That sounds like a good idea i might steal that :thumb: What did you guys use to attach to the crank, John shows a single hinge, is that what you used??
cheers
Graham

drive motor speed control

Having a little trouble with this. The schematic Fig. 8 on page 53, the resistors above and below the 2 pots are mislabeled, I assumed they are 47K and 33K or should they be 4K and 3K which might be causing me a problem?

Having a little trouble with this. The schematic Fig. 8 on page 53, the resistors above and below the 2 pots are mislabeled, I assumed they are 47K and 33K or should they be 4K and 3K which might be causing me a problem?

The 4K7 and 3K3 designations mean 4.7K and 3.3K. European standard I think.

Bob

Last edited:
47K and 33K should be correct. Without getting real technical, just look at the total resistance across the complete leg and the resistance, 100K, in the other leg going to the comparator. They should be close to get a good comparison. Hope that helps and not confuse.

fig. 12 full register control

At the output of IC5B there is a notation of 2 56K resistors. Are the resistor symbols just missing from the output from pin 4 on the schematic or are these just bogus values?

Well I am about to close up the main windchest. I have all the pallet valves install and have checked them to make sure they all work. Going to get it installed and check for any leaks and make sure it all works under pressure.

View attachment 48313 View attachment 48314

Not much action on this thread at the moment ,how many are still working on it?? or are you all finished.

Hi Jay, i am just setting out my main wind chest and in your photo above you have 5 pallet valves at the end ,(opposite end to the bass pipes) what pipes are they for, and what are the 2 holes/pallet valves 3/4 inch apart next to them for?
cheers
Graham

Graham The 5 valves are for the 5 counter melody pipes that are on that side of the case. The other 2 are for the glockenspiel and Celeste block out.

I havent heard much form other builders ether but I do know there are a few building as I have sent out some parts for them.

I got stopped because of the cold and now I have been to busy doing honeydoo's to get back on it but I'm gona get there :rofl:

Jay

full register control board

looking at tremulant and vibrato circuit, using tremulant as example when midi 58 and 56 are played together the outputs of ic2a and d are low preventing midi 58 and 56 (notes f and g) from playing when tremulant is active. Is that correct?

This is what my go to guy told me Ted :dunno:

When both 56 and 58 play together it latches a circuit on the board on which in turn turns on the tremolo. For the short time necessary to start the tremolo, those two pipes should not play. As soon as the tremulant is on, and the dual input is removed, the pipes will play, provided you are only asking for one at a time.

The cancel pulse which is another independent note, turns the trem off.

Jay:wave:

Hi Jay,

Yes, that's how it works. They only have to be on for a very brief time. You would not notice any interruption in the playing of music. They would most likely be activated at the beginning of a bar or a break in the music score anyway.

We're slowly awaking from our hibernation.