New Organ Build Topsy 3

Hi Ted,

There are 8 Darlingtons on IC4. In the Simple Control, only 5 are used. In the Full Control, 7 are used. That means 3 not used in the Simple and 1 not used in the Full Registration Control. Hope that helps.

So did I. IC3 is the Darlington chip, not IC4 in the Full Control. IC4 is the Darlington in the Simple control.

In the Full Control, IC 3G pin 12 is not used. See corrected drawing on John Smiths site.

Now that I have you confused, I have a bridge to sell.

In the text page 58 about full register control last paragraph manual buttons for vibrato and tremulant are connected to midi inputs with 2 diodes but the drawing fig. 12 shows external tremulant button going from 12 volts to output of pin 10 IC6 thru 10k resistor (possibly same setup for vibrato from pin 2 of IC6)?

Last edited:
I think John is referring to an external switch. The diodes would prevent one of the MIDI notes from tripping the Vibrato but would allow the manual switch to work. He already has an external switch for the Tremulant. For verification, I would write to John.

Ted, Herold, Jay.... we haven't seen any photos lately. :dunno: Jay...I'll give you a pass because you did post a video once, plus I saw it in person.
So....how about it Ted....Herold??????

my progress

build is done, needs finishing and final tuning. Am working on finishing electronics which is a challenge!!!! The decoder board I built from ucapps. I am using a palm pilot to play files. The vibrato was built from parts from an old VCR, needs final testing yet. The drive motor is a windshield wiper motor. It is connected to a one way clutch so the bellows can be run by the motor or manually without disconnecting anything. This has been a fun and extremely challenging project but if I can do it anyone can! Hope to finish soon (ya right,been a year so far).
009.JPG

010.JPG
006.JPG

Well I've read all the posts and am sorry that I don't have more to read and see. I hope that you all are just taking it easy through the last of the year and will begin again in the comming year. Keep up the good work thus far. I hope to one day get this far with my own. Right now it's a great learning curve getting the busker finished. I won't even think about this type of build any time soon. Keep posting on progress guys, we all enjoy it.

Oh and happy new year to all.

Thought I'd post a video of my creation so far. Still needs to be done: register board finish (could take 3-5 years the way it's going), motor speed controller does not get full speed when reservoir is near empty (may have to change motor, Jay what motor and drive belt are you using?), bass drum (not real, "borrowed" from grandson's toy drum set) not loud enough, when that's all done animate monkey and add bubble machine. Have a look: http://youtu.be/BHeArFPR5No

Thought I'd post a video of my creation so far. Still needs to be done: register board finish (could take 3-5 years the way it's going), motor speed controller does not get full speed when reservoir is near empty (may have to change motor, Jay what motor and drive belt are you using?), bass drum (not real, "borrowed" from grandson's toy drum set) not loud enough, when that's all done animate monkey and add bubble machine. Have a look: http://youtu.be/BHeArFPR5No

She sounds real good Ted. The motor I used was a scooter motor from All Electronics and then a Eureka round belt and then just made the mount to work with it.

Well done Ted. That is alot of work you have done. I know those things are not easy to build. I have seen Jays up close and I took one look and said.....I'll just listen to yours. :rofl: LOTS of wires and electronics. Sounds real good! Congrats.

Hi everyone
Just got started again after a 6 month break, Overseas holidays and other excuses,
The motor I used was a radiator cooling fan of an old toyota car, seems to work very well, BUT, I did have to make a very small 25mm pulley to gear it down enough,
the belt is 5mm rubber Oring material, you can buy it by the metre, and join it with superglue, I use Loctite 406.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Now for a question! I have just finished my first lot of pipes (accompaniament) but i cant tune pipe D#, I can get D ok but the needle on the Korg tuner moves to the right and then changes to E, I have adjusted every part that moves, and changed the thickness of the card to no avail, is this importent, or can i leave it just before it changes to E ??
thanks
Graham
Auckland NZ