New Organ Build Topsy 3

I am getting ready to start the main pressure box for the topsy 3. What is the best way to finish the inside surface to get a good seat with the pipe valves?

Jay - How did you treat the inside of the organ? I am getting ready to but things together for the last time. I did use urethane on the inside of the sides and the mounting board for the accompaniament pipes but not sure how to deal with the misc things that mount on the sides.
( spring mount - crank assy ect ) would like some input on this.

ed

Jay - How did you treat the inside of the organ? I am getting ready to but things together for the last time. I did use urethane on the inside of the sides and the mounting board for the accompaniament pipes but not sure how to deal with the misc things that mount on the sides.
( spring mount - crank assy ect ) would like some input on this.

ed

Ed I just used a latex paint and painted the inside of the case and on all the components inside (bellow, res, windchest, etc) I used clear lacquer

I didn't take pix but can possibly take some of different areas if you need help. While it was challenging to make (just like the rest of it) all the information is there between the dvd and construction drawings. make sure you make it in the order given. will help any way I can to repay all the help that was given me.

Ted- Thanks for the offer. I was trying to avoid any more surprises on something I might have missed. I am still working on the pipes. The accompaniment pipes are done and installed and almost done with the 44 Melody Bourdons.
Went to the auto junk yard today and got a motor to drive the bellows, it appears to run fast but I was thinking I can slow it down with gears ( it is the heater/AC fan motor) and control the speed electrically.
Will post some in progress pictures in a day of so.
ed

I started on the main wind chest this morning and was laying out the holes for the Melody Bourdons
and it says in the plans page 14 that a 3/32 hole is all that is needed except for the bass pipes and the
largest Counter Melody. This seems very small when you have 1/4 inch feed in the Accompaniment pipes ( construction drawing # 6 ), it seems out of proportion. I check for any changes/corrections to the drawings but found none about this. Am I being too causes or is this a normal thing with the drawings?

ed

I started on the main wind chest this morning and was laying out the holes for the Melody Bourdons
and it says in the plans page 14 that a 3/32 hole is all that is needed except for the bass pipes and the
largest Counter Melody. This seems very small when you have 1/4 inch feed in the Accompaniment pipes ( construction drawing # 6 ), it seems out of proportion. I check for any changes/corrections to the drawings but found none about this. Am I being too causes or is this a normal thing with the drawings?

ed

I had to go read it a couple of times but I finely got it figured out :D The 3/32 he is talking about is the opening up of the pallet valve not the size of the hole. Hope that makes scene :thumb:

Thanks Jay you are right, I read it more than once too. I will drill the holes to match the brass tubing I am using to connect the pipes to the mounting blocks.

ed

I wanted to post some "Work in Progress" pictures, look forward to your comments. We are still working on the control for the bellows motor. I got a fan motor at the auto junk yard that I hope will work.
The pipes are coming along slow, 100 is a lot of pipes. Next week-end my nephew and I are going to work on the moter control circuit.

IMG_3701.jpgIMG_3702.jpgIMG_3703.jpgIMG_3704.jpgIMG_3705.jpgIMG_3706.jpg

Paul - At $ 3.99 each I learned to like them. But I know what you mean.

ed

One of the projects I plan after I finish the organ is to build a cart for it. I am thinking of making the wheels in the order of a ships wheel. I made a small ships wheel once and it was great fun. Back then I didn't have a lathe and I used a router to round the spokes some. Now I have a lathe, it well be even more fun!

And Jay is right, I for one, would really love to know more about your CNC.