New Organ Build Topsy 3

As you can see from the pictures it is a home-made CNC but does great work. The present CNC is the evolution of 3 to 4 that I have made in the past 6 years. All the metal came from the scrap yard where I pay by the pound for the aluminum. Most everything else came from E-Bay except the Geckodrive G540.

I am using a Proter-Cable Trimmer router. I also have had great results engraving signs.

The software I am using is AutoSketch for the drawings, Sheet Cam to convert to G-code and Mach 3 to run the CNC.

ed

IMG_3707.jpgIMG_3708.jpgIMG_3709.jpgIMG_3710.jpgIMG_3711.jpgIMG_3712.jpgIMG_3713.jpgIMG_3714.jpg

I was looking ahead to the tuning of the pipes. I need some help, does anyone have a chart that matches the notes on the drawings of the pipes to what frequency they ae tuned to?

Hello all, I introduced my self on the organ thread back in November, but just to echo it again, My name is Jon and I am from England. In my professional role I am a mechanical engineer, programming CMM's for the jet engine industry. In my spare time I breed tropical fish and make things out of wood and metal. I have enjoyed seeing the progress on peoples organs, over recent weeks and months. My newest project is the Topsy 3 organ, I have been in the process of ordering the materials I need for the organ and today the wood arrived! So I can start, what will be a long but enjoyable project very soon.

Although I shall be following the majority of the Topsy 3 plans to the letter, I shall be making a few changes, mainly that the pipes will all be above the toe board and I shall be using a single wind chest as opposed to the separate accompany wind chest. I do not have the limitations of size or portability as such, so the need for the organ to be condensed as in Johns original idea, do not apply to me as it will be a static blower powered organ. In the end I am hoping to build the full specification Juliana organ.

In a funny twist of fate, I have to travel to San Antonio for a flying visit next week, so I shall be picking up my Peterson valves then. In England we are limited as to the pallet magnets we can use, with the primary choice a Chinese copy of the Peterson valves, so this has worked out quite well for me and no more expensive.

I am sure I will have questions to ask and problems along the way, but I look forward to sharing my trials and tribulations with you all through pictures and written text.

Jon, welcome to the forum. I'm working on the Senior 20 organ which is not near as challenging as what you are taking on. I follow this thread because I learn a lot even thought it is not the organ I'm building, and who knows maybe some day I will want to build a bigger organ. I'm looking forward to your progress reports.

Thank you all for your kind words. I think your getting greedy now Jay! Ive always liked the Wurlitzer 105 and 153, the shape is a thing of beauty in my eyes.

Welcome Jon, the Topsy 3 is a great sounding organ. I too have built the Senior 20 and have thought about starting the Topsy but have been dragging my feet about it. I know they are alot of work but from the ones I've seen and heard they are well worth it. I look forward to following your progress.

I am looking ahead to when I am ready to connect the J-Omega MPT-8 to the pipes and make some noise with the Topsy - 3 I am building. I am planning to use a LapTop computer to feed the MPT -8.
I am looking for some software to use, looking on the internet there are many free downloads available. I am very new to this (MIDI) and would like some help in selecting the best software and hopefully very user friendly .

ed

Not a lot of progress with having to go to Texas last week, however now I am back I can start properly. I have been cutting out a fair bit of the pipe pieces ready for the task in hand of gluing it all together. I was lucky enough to obtain all my pallet magnets form Peterson when I was over in Texas. It may or may not be a gimmick but I also went for the pallet locating tool, I am hopeful that it will at least help a bit in terms of locating the pallets and speed up the process some what.

I am looking ahead to when I am ready to connect the J-Omega MPT-8 to the pipes and make some noise with the Topsy - 3 I am building. I am planning to use a LapTop computer to feed the MPT -8.
I am looking for some software to use, looking on the internet there are many free downloads available. I am very new to this (MIDI) and would like some help in selecting the best software and hopefully very user friendly .

ed

Something I have been researching Mione is the use of a readily available Palm Vx PDA type device, to this you can install a piece of software called IttyMIDI and the PDA then becomes a touch screen MIDI player with a visual representation of your song database. A friend of mine has done a similar thing, connected it to a MPT-8 and it worked very well. Food for thought maybe.

That IttyMIDI software works, but unfortunately it runs on "ancient" Palm devices. If you already have one on the shelf, that's fine.
I think the current SD card players are a more realistic solution.

Bob

I am new here, but I am building the Wurlitzer 105. I like to say that I am building it, but I spend more time in logistics and thought and not as much building. I am hoping to have it finished in the next few years...

Mike

Last edited: