New Organ Build Topsy 3

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Maybe I will do like Jay said and start another thread. This way I wont clog this one and confuse people who are build a Topsy and looking at pieces for a 105.

Last edited:
IMG_3766.jpgI got the drive system for my Topsy completed. The motor is a windshield wiper motor
from a 1999 Audi A6 got it from the local auto junk yard for $20.00, it is a Bosch motor
all metric, the shaft is a 8.25 mm thread. I tapped a gear and just threaded
it on the shaft. I got the wiring form the internet.

The gears came from "Polytech Design Inc" in Clifton N J http://www.polytechdesign.com/
The two gears and the belt were under $30.00. Very nice people to deal with and are very helpfull.
Part # for the gears and belt.
24XL037 and 29Xl037 and the belt 150XL

The electronic controller was designed by my nephew ( he had way too much fun doing it ) the feedback gear assembly I made on my CNC . If anyone wants more on the controller let me know.

IMG_3759.jpgIMG_3760.jpgIMG_3763.jpgIMG_3765.jpg

Nice job Ed I see that the pulleys do set inside the case now. The only other thing you might think about is a roller bearing that only rolls one way (I cant remember what there called). That way when you want to uses the crank it you wont have to work to turn the motor too.

Thanks for all the kind words.
Now I have ro repair my bellows, had too many blowouts and the stiffeners I used did not hold up and the blackout cloth I used is questionable.
I ordered a bearing today will try to get it to work. It is going to be a challenge to get it mounted inside the drive gear.

[video]c:/busker/topsy/speed control/oneway bearing[/video]I was able to modify the drive system so I can hand crank with the motor stopped. I got a " Oneway Needle bearing/clutch " from E-bay. Had to make a adapter to adapt the 1/2 inch ID of the bearing to the 5/16 inch shaft and drill out the pulley to insert the bearing. The bearing is a press fit into the gear along with epoxy glue. It appears to work well as is but I don't have a load on the drive system as I am still working on the bellows. the info on the bearing RCB081214 from VXB Bearings $12.95 free shipping.I have added a vidoe to this post I hope it works.

IMG_3781.jpgIMG_3782.jpg

I have completed the construction of the pipes all 100 of them, and while waiting for the leather for the bellows I have tried to understand the tuning of the pipes. I must admit a box of rocks knows more about music than I do. From the charts given in the instructions I am having a time matching notes to frequency, am not sure what octave they are so I can match them to a frequency chart. I made a test pipe ( A from the "Melody Octave Pipes" drawing # 14 W 3/16" D 1/4") it says they are open pipes with a metal shade. I can't get to it to play a note unless I close the and it plays a freq of about 2100 Hz. With the end open nothing. Don't know if I am making it clear or not but I would like any help I can get.

I have completed the construction of the pipes all 100 of them, and while waiting for the leather for the bellows I have tried to understand the tuning of the pipes. I must admit a box of rocks knows more about music than I do. From the charts given in the instructions I am having a time matching notes to frequency, am not sure what octave they are so I can match them to a frequency chart. I made a test pipe ( A from the "Melody Octave Pipes" drawing # 14 W 3/16" D 1/4") it says they are open pipes with a metal shade. I can't get to it to play a note unless I close the and it plays a freq of about 2100 Hz. With the end open nothing. Don't know if I am making it clear or not but I would like any help I can get.

Sounds like the voicing is off Ed. Dont take this as a smart remark but do you understand how to voice the pipes if not Phil Radford has a real good youtube video explaining how its done.
Oh and the leather is almost done and with luck goes out tomorrow.

Ed,
You mention "frequency" and notes. I suspect that you don't have an electronic tuner? If not, I would strongly suggest you get one. It detects what note is playing. No musical knowledge necessary!

Also, it might help us help you if you take some close up pictures of that errant pipe.

Ready to help,

Bob

I hope there is someone out there who can help with my present problem. I got the pressure box mounted with the four lowest bass pipes connected. All appears to sound OK but the lowest pipe A does not always play. I can hear the valve closing it intermittently plays. I have 5 inches of pressure from the bellows and if I play multi notes it sometime plays. When it dose not play I can't feel air coming from the pipe but always hear the valve opening. I know it sounds like the valve is opening but not letting air out. I wanted to get some opinions as what to look for before I open the pressure again as it is not the easiest thing to do