Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Organ Build Topsy 3

This should shed some light on what I was talking about Carol but keep in mind that it is a totally different bellow set up than the Senior
    Also the leather you see was not installed when I cut it that was added after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1382.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	45481 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1383.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	45482 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1384.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	45483 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1385.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	45484
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Ahhh!

In effect, a rabbet, not a dado.

Thanks for the pix. That cleared things up for me.

I am aware the two organs are not the same, but that doesn't make me less interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    !
    I am aware the two organs are not the same, but that doesn't make me less interested!
    I figured you knew the difference Carol but just wanted to make sure
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Little holes

Attached is a picture whose only purpose is to show that I am actually doing something. Doing it badly... but doing something.

This is Brian's Bellows Board B which doesn't have much going for it beyond alliteration.

You can see that the slot in the side isn't exactly straight. I made it by drilling 3/8" holes 4" apart on the drill press. Then slipped one over a 3/8" bit on the router table and slid it along till I got to the other. I took several passes, raising the bit each time, till I got all the way through. Only, the drilled holes wound up being a smidge wider than the slot. Not quite sure why. I'm thinking the fence on the drill press isn't square to the table. I sanded it down to make it look a little better. It's still not perfect, but it's better in person than it looks in the picture. The light is reflecting off the edges kind of funny.

Also, I haven't put the bottom on yet. That's because the plans say to round the edges of the holes on both sides and I haven't done that yet, because I'm not quite sure how to do it. Best method I've come up with so far is to roll up some 220 sandpaper into a tight cylinder and go at it that way. It works... but there's a total of 39 holes. That's going to get awfully tedious. I'm kind of hoping there's a faster, easier way to to it.

You can't tell from the picture, but there's also a tiny little twist to the board. If it were sitting flat on the saw table... well, that's just it. It wouldn't be sitting flat on the saw table. The front right corner would be maybe 1/32" off the table. I hoping that'll go away when I put the other side on.

If it doesn't, I just might start over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bellows Board B.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Corrigan View Post
    Attached is a picture whose only purpose is to show that I am actually doing something. Doing it badly... but doing something.

This is Brian's Bellows Board B which doesn't have much going for it beyond alliteration.

You can see that the slot in the side isn't exactly straight. I made it by drilling 3/8" holes 4" apart on the drill press. Then slipped one over a 3/8" bit on the router table and slid it along till I got to the other. I took several passes, raising the bit each time, till I got all the way through. Only, the drilled holes wound up being a smidge wider than the slot. Not quite sure why. I'm thinking the fence on the drill press isn't square to the table. I sanded it down to make it look a little better. It's still not perfect, but it's better in person than it looks in the picture. The light is reflecting off the edges kind of funny.

Also, I haven't put the bottom on yet. That's because the plans say to round the edges of the holes on both sides and I haven't done that yet, because I'm not quite sure how to do it. Best method I've come up with so far is to roll up some 220 sandpaper into a tight cylinder and go at it that way. It works... but there's a total of 39 holes. That's going to get awfully tedious. I'm kind of hoping there's a faster, easier way to to it.

You can't tell from the picture, but there's also a tiny little twist to the board. If it were sitting flat on the saw table... well, that's just it. It wouldn't be sitting flat on the saw table. The front right corner would be maybe 1/32" off the table. I hoping that'll go away when I put the other side on.

If it doesn't, I just might start over.
    Brian that little bit of twist wont hurt a thing and your slot looks just fine.
    As far as rounding over the holes I took a piece of 220 and use my finger and just knocked the sharp edge off that's all it needs and it goes quick but your finger dose get tired . You don't really need what you think of as rounded over if that makes sense.

Your just wanting to knock the sharp edges off of everything
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Got the idea but it's still a little bit of a problem. See, I've got very big hands. Using one of my fingers in the way you described might result in more of a depression than a rounded edge.

My wife's fingers are small, but she can't stand sanding. Hates the feel of it. And in any case, the idea of my getting her to sand 39 holes is, to say the least, laughable.

But I'll figure something out.

Oh... and for the record... the board sits flat now. I'd sort of forgot that I had to make a last minute substitute for one of stiffeners and it was just a teeeeeeeeeny bit proud of the others. A few swipes with a block plane brought everything within my level of tolerance.
    Last edited by Brian Corrigan; 05-16-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Bellows ready for cover

Well I got the bellows done to the point of being ready to cover.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1388.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	45605 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1389.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	45606 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1390.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	45607
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

That all looks real good Jay. Your moving right along.

Tom
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

midio 128

although the electronics are far down the line I have decided to go with midio128 from ucapps instead of the jomega board, fed from a palm pilot with ittymidi software to play the tunes. The reasons are: a bit cheaper and this whole build is complex enough that adding a little more is no big deal. Haven't checked on the price for the solonoids from petersons yet but I assume they are the only place (or cheapest) to get them. Would be interested if anyone else might be going this route. Best to all on a successful build!

So far... so... whatever...

Just a little progress report. I call this photo "Homage to Jay Caughron" I'm actually just a teense further along than this... but not much.

Way I figure it, Jay, I'm about four weeks behind you on this project. Guess what? I plan to STAY four weeks behind you! AT LEAST!

Like it or not, you're my personal "canary in the coal mine." This jungle's way to thick for be to be a trailblazer. I'm not gluing any leather onto anything till you do it first and tell me it doesn't leak!

One nice side benefit about reporting on it, though: if you're gonna take pictures, you sort of HAVE to clean up your shop... at least in the area where the picture is.

B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bellows Boards Complete.jpg