New Organ Build Topsy 3

time for pipes

air supply is done, accompaniment chest parts cut out but I think I'll make the pipes first to make sure they fit. I used a windshield wiper motor connected directly to the crankshaft, The bottom of the motor swivels so it is easy to disconnect. Jay what size hose is needed to connect the pipes to the windchest? Good build to all but would be interested to know how manyhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46653&stc=1&d=1277682476 are doing this amahttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/atthttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46655&stc=1&d=1277682476achment.php?attachmentid=46654&stc=1&d=1277682476zing project.

Attachments

• topsy1 002.JPG
    topsy1 002.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 176
  • topsy1 003.JPG
    topsy1 003.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 182
  • topsy1 004.JPG
    topsy1 004.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 167
Ted I am going to use those gray plastic tubes use to hook up faucets and for toilet supply lines. I found some 30" ones they are 3/8 O.D. and 1/4" I.D. I tested some with CA glue and it held pretty good and it was a nice snug fit in a 3/8" hole.

I think there are 4 us building but not sure.

Hello All, Looks like the topsy is a great project, looks like you guys have been very busy. Makes me want to get started quickly with my senior 20. Jay I sent you a pm I think, was wondering if you got it. Keep up the good work, I've started a notebook of the topsy, thanks to you all for posting pics. They are a big help.

Be safe

Kenny Heermann

Hello All, Looks like the topsy is a great project, looks like you guys have been very busy. Makes me want to get started quickly with my senior 20. Jay I sent you a pm I think, was wondering if you got it. Keep up the good work, I've started a notebook of the topsy, thanks to you all for posting pics. They are a big help.

Be safe

Kenny Heermann

Yeah I did Kenny but kind of forgot to get back to you :D:D
Will work on the list tomorrow and get back to ya. Sorry

Oh boy now i know why I only pop in on this thread occassionally;):thumb:

Its CONTAIGOUS..:rofl:

You guys are making excallent progress. You all seem to be working away like elves getting ready for father Xmas to take the presents.:rofl:

Getting real excited to hear the first one of these topsy 3's and see the video. Hope thats on the project plan.:thumb:

keep up the good work.

pipe building

Am a bit confused. If I understand correctly when cutting out the pipes you take the dimensions given and add the thickness of the wood for the sides? The only pipes that use 1/4 ply are the bass pipes which use 1/4 and 1/8? The front cover and top lip should not be ply but hardwood? The distance between the end plate and inner plate is the same for each rank of pipes? And finally when you cut the end plate and inner plate from the pipe front that gives the correct opening? Lots of questions but the more I study the more confused I get.

pipe building

Am a bit confused. If I understand correctly when cutting out the pipes you take the dimensions given and add the thickness of the wood for the sides?
Thats right

The only pipes that use 1/4 ply are the bass pipes which use 1/4 and 1/8?
Right

The front cover and top lip should not be ply but hardwood?
The lip yes the covers can be ply if it is something like Baltic Birch

The distance between the end plate and inner plate is the same for each rank of pipes?
On the Acc and the Bourdons yes not the bass pipes or the counter Melody

And finally when you cut the end plate and inner plate from the pipe front that gives the correct opening?
Thats correct

Lots of questions but the more I study the more confused I get.

Dont forget about the Dimension correction on the Bourdons

Hello all and Jay,

Thanks Jay for the link to this thread. As I mentioned in an e-mail to you, I am going to finish my Busker first before starting Topsy 3. I'm collecting parts and material for a quick start. Lots of good info here. Love your photos.

Hi Harold...welcome to the forum! It's a good group in here. Lot's of good information and friendly advice. I'm only building the Senior 20 organ at this time but these Topsy 3 organs are going to be very cool when done.
Looking forward to sharing information with you.

I will have to overlook your "Ohio State" avatar though. :rofl: :rofl: Being in the heart of Purdue country....well...you undertsand....:rofl: :rofl:

Welcome,
Tom

error in plans

page 8 construction drawing for melody bourdons: the notes given in the chart do not match those in the full size cutting guide, I assume the chart is correct

John said the chart was correct but dont forget the the first two pipes were wrong. I made my "D#","E" 5/8 ID and 1/2 IW but dont know if it was right or not yet.
I also moved the inlet hole on the front pipes to 5/16 as 1/4 would cause it to drill into the back

Jay

Last edited:
Bourdon Pipes

For those who have not seen or have John's Topsy drawings, not topsy 3, I decided to see how the Melody pipes ID and IW compare with Topsy 3. Topsy dimensions are in metric, so using my dividers and my inches/metric ruler I converted them to inches. They are as follows starting with the B and C, ID x IW. 23/32 x 19/32, 5/8 x 9/16, 19/32 x 15/32, 1/2 x 11/23, 7/16 x 5/16.

This is for information only comparing the two Topsys Melody pipes.