Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Organ Build Topsy 3

yup, just the photo angle

For those that are building and fallowing the thread I have found 2 errors in the plans. On page #6 the C# pipe should be 1 7/32 not 1 7/64 and on page #7 shown at the bottom of the page the "A" pipe should be 1 3/4 not 1 1/4 from the Datum

I have notified John and changes are coming.

Hope everyone is moving forward and having fun with this I know I am.

Jay
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

thanks Jay. Thinking out loud here: it seems a windshield wiper motor would work quite well, therefore is there any reason I'm missing that it could not be mounted on the other side of the case to drive the connecting rod and turning wheel directly?

I've been thinking about that also Ted and I think a wiper motor will work but I not sure if it can be mounted on the other side. I was talking to Peter Shirtcliffe last week and it seems that something is in the way. We will investigate more as I like that idea better than a belt on the crank wheel.

Have you checked out what is available from the Surplus Center yet they had a ton of motors last I looked.

Jay
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I believe the plans said a wiper motor gives the correct rpm needed without using an intermediate shaft and pulleys to gear the motor down plus can probably pick one up cheap at auto salvage

doing some more thinking: it appears from looking at the dvd that there is plenty of room to use a worm gear drive system; due to the gear reduction a less powerful (battery saving) motor could be used. Lego (ya the toy) has a plastic worm gear setup that is probably plenty strong for this application.

Hey Ted I was talking it Peter Shirtcliffe to day and he has a gearbox motor mounted on the crank side of his Topsy and he said it works just fine.

Do you have any pictures or a link the the motor you are talking about.
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Haven't gotten to a motor yet, if using a worm gear the rpms needed are decided by the number of teeth on the gear. Maybe you could find out what he is using so we don't have to reinvent the wheel here

Quote Originally Posted by ted heid View Post
    Haven't gotten to a motor yet, if using a worm gear the rpms needed are decided by the number of teeth on the gear. Maybe you could find out what he is using so we don't have to reinvent the wheel here
    I just got done talking to Peter and he showed me his set up. He uses a golf trolley motor and we also were looking and playing with a wiper motor also. Ether will work, you will just have to experiment on how to mount them.

Jay
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Have no idea what a golf trolley motor is. Any more info or a pix on how he did it?