Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: New Organ Build Topsy 3

time for pipes

air supply is done, accompaniment chest parts cut out but I think I'll make the pipes first to make sure they fit. I used a windshield wiper motor connected directly to the crankshaft, The bottom of the motor swivels so it is easy to disconnect. Jay what size hose is needed to connect the pipes to the windchest? Good build to all but would be interested to know how manyhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46653&stc=1&d=12776824 76 are doing this amahttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/atthttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46655&stc=1&d=12776824 76achment.php?attachmentid=46654&stc=1&d=127768247 6zing project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails topsy1 002.JPG   topsy1 003.JPG   topsy1 004.JPG  

Ted I am going to use those gray plastic tubes use to hook up faucets and for toilet supply lines. I found some 30" ones they are 3/8 O.D. and 1/4" I.D. I tested some with CA glue and it held pretty good and it was a nice snug fit in a 3/8" hole.

I think there are 4 us building but not sure.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

More pipe pics

Another batch of pipes these are all the bourdon pipes 44 of them setting on top of the 12 Accompaniament pipes
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1421.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	46662

These are the mounting blocks for the 2 rows of bourdons before drilling and routing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1422.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	46663
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson

Hello All, Looks like the topsy is a great project, looks like you guys have been very busy. Makes me want to get started quickly with my senior 20. Jay I sent you a pm I think, was wondering if you got it. Keep up the good work, I've started a notebook of the topsy, thanks to you all for posting pics. They are a big help.

Be safe

Kenny Heermann

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Heermann View Post
    Hello All, Looks like the topsy is a great project, looks like you guys have been very busy. Makes me want to get started quickly with my senior 20. Jay I sent you a pm I think, was wondering if you got it. Keep up the good work, I've started a notebook of the topsy, thanks to you all for posting pics. They are a big help.

Be safe

Kenny Heermann
    Yeah I did Kenny but kind of forgot to get back to you
    Will work on the list tomorrow and get back to ya. Sorry
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Oh boy now i know why I only pop in on this thread occassionally

Its CONTAIGOUS..

You guys are making excallent progress. You all seem to be working away like elves getting ready for father Xmas to take the presents.

Getting real excited to hear the first one of these topsy 3's and see the video. Hope thats on the project plan.

keep up the good work.
    Rob .....Alias John Wayne now Pasquinell da trapper.

"forget the apples slap some bacon on a biscuit and lets go...

We're burning daylight"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Yeah I did Kenny but kind of forgot to get back to you
    Will work on the list tomorrow and get back to ya. Sorry
    HI Jay, no big deal, just was not sure the pm made it to you, I had never done that before.

Kenny Heermann

Arrow pipe building

Am a bit confused. If I understand correctly when cutting out the pipes you take the dimensions given and add the thickness of the wood for the sides? The only pipes that use 1/4 ply are the bass pipes which use 1/4 and 1/8? The front cover and top lip should not be ply but hardwood? The distance between the end plate and inner plate is the same for each rank of pipes? And finally when you cut the end plate and inner plate from the pipe front that gives the correct opening? Lots of questions but the more I study the more confused I get.

pipe building

Quote Originally Posted by ted heid View Post
    Am a bit confused. If I understand correctly when cutting out the pipes you take the dimensions given and add the thickness of the wood for the sides?
    Thats right

The only pipes that use 1/4 ply are the bass pipes which use 1/4 and 1/8?
    Right

The front cover and top lip should not be ply but hardwood?
    The lip yes the covers can be ply if it is something like Baltic Birch

The distance between the end plate and inner plate is the same for each rank of pipes?
    On the Acc and the Bourdons yes not the bass pipes or the counter Melody

And finally when you cut the end plate and inner plate from the pipe front that gives the correct opening?
    Thats correct

Lots of questions but the more I study the more confused I get.
    Dont forget about the Dimension correction on the Bourdons
    A Turn N Time

Frog Pond Guitars

Hello all and Jay,

Thanks Jay for the link to this thread. As I mentioned in an e-mail to you, I am going to finish my Busker first before starting Topsy 3. I'm collecting parts and material for a quick start. Lots of good info here. Love your photos.
    There are 10 type of people. Those that understand Binary, and those that don't.