New Organ Build Topsy 3

Ted,
One of my first projects of the summer was to try and make an Orchestrion I purchased last summer (bargain price, horrible sound) sound decent. A key to this was tuning a set of open flute pipes. I used the same approach Jay describes of cutting bit by bit until very close to the note and then sanding until there. This worked, except once where I went too far. I was prepared with thin sheets of brass to partially close the top to flatten the pitch(similar to what John shows on page 14 of the Topsy 3 construction drawings) but was amazed at how little of a change was needed to correct the pitch. Ultimately I ended up using a small bit of wood added to the top of the pipe in back and the problem was solved. My fix looks much like that in the lower left portion of page 13 in the topsy3 construction drawings. So, an errant over shortening of a pipe will likely not require a rebuild of the pipe as long as one of these corrections can be achieved without disturbing the visual aesthetic of the instrument (which must be why in most pipe organs few of the pipes are actually visible. . .)
Congratulations, you seem to be flying through this project. (I am slowly working on the much less complicated Busker)
Marc

Remember, using 'shades' at the top of the pipe for tuning are useful only on open pipes. For stopped pipes, I've used 'ears' ( made of cardboard or wood ) on the sides of the pipe mouth to lower ( flatten ) the note. This wouldn't look so great on the facade pipes, but for hidden inner ones works fine.

dan

counter melody pipes

on page 13 construction drawings it shows a different top height for the inner lip for different pipes but is the lower end the same for all as shown in the d# full size drawing?

the top of the inner lip is 2 1/4 inch from the bottom on 5 pipes and 1 3/4 from the bottom on the rest, thus the angle changes if the bottom of the plate stays the same distance ( left side of D# full size drawing) or the bottom distance must change if the angle is to remain the same on the remaining pipes. Make sense?

pipes and windchests made, working on wiring and electronics. perusing why manual says to voice open pipes after painting or finishing. does finishing really affect tuning? Also future builders beware that unlike the other pipes melody octave pipe dimentions give speaking length not cutting length. Don't ask how I know.

Hello all, hows work going on the topsy 3? Even one must be busy building since have not seen any new posts. For wife and I, Weston Mo Street Organ Muster on Oct 16th and 17th is still on. Looking forward to seeing and hearing the organs in person.

Be Safe, Kenny in Independence mo

wiring melody bourdons

in construction drawings for melody bourdons there is a high "G" missing from the scales page 25 of manual and an "F#" in the scale not on the construction drawing. Now I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? None that I came up with make sense.

Hi Ted,

As to the scale on page 25, it is the same as Topsy. The first one. I would say that you could just tune them to the scale and be OK. The dimensions should be OK as your talking about a half step. Just MHO.:D

more wiring problems

melody octave pipes have a separate ground, when I send voltage to a pallet using the melody octave ground just the melody octave pallet fires, when I send voltage using the main ground BOTH the melody and melody octave pallets fire. There is a diode in series between the signal wire and the melody pallet per the instructions that I see no use for. Had the series diode between the signal wire and the melody octave pallet but I got the same results. When firing pallet get 12 volts between main and octave ground when using octave ground bus and 1.6 volts between octave ground and main ground when using main ground bus. My thinking is that because the plans are for a positive ground system and I am using negative ground that the series diode should go on the ground bus between pallet and ground, cathode towards ground bus, so I moved the series diode between the octave pallets and ground buss, octave ground bus fires off all pallets, main ground does not fire octave pallets. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Wiring Problem

Hi Ted,

Had to read your post several times. Looks like the key to your problem is that you reversed the voltage from that used by John in the drawing. Just reverse all the diodes. I know it's simplistic, but if you reverse the polarity of the voltage, the diodes will act as shorts.

error on counter Melody pipes

Hi Folks I found another error on the Pipes. The counter Melody pipes on pg #13 have the inside dimensions switched on "D#" & "A".

D# should be 1 1/4' and A should be 1 3/16"

I have talked to John and he has confirmed it and should have an update on his site.

Jay

Hi All, Just wondering is any one is going to be at the Weston Street Organ Muster this weekend. Wife and I are planning a trip on Sat the 16th. Hope to see and meet some of you.

Be Safe

Progress report

Well I havent posted any updates in awhile so thought I would show you what I have been doing.
I have all the pipes made and am now voicing them my ears can only take it so long without a brake :D

Here is the temp drive I set up with the flywheel to run the bellows to do the voicing. (I dont run the battery down with this setup)
100_1507.jpg

Here is the front side so far
100_1508.jpg

These are the Bourdons all voiced and ready for finish and install.
100_1509.jpg

I'm getting there :D Hope to be getting all the circuits wired up this week then go to work on the glock and woodblock. Waiting on the triangle to show up next week.

Jay