New Organ Build Topsy 3

Wow Jay its coming along nicely. There is a ton of work in this Topsy Eh!

Just would like to know when you drill holes in those bourbons way back up in the post, how do you do it. With a forstner bit? The clean cut edges are unreal. Share the secret.:):thumb:

New Builder

"Graham the part that drives the solenoids is a board from j-omega and I have ready made up register boards and SD Players. Im trying to make this as close to plug and play as I can for others. The plans do however have all the info to build everything from scratch if you want. I'm willing to give ya all the help I can to get it playing. I am learning as I go but have some good people to turn to when I get stumped that are also willing to help the novice.

By the way that looks like a nice Organ....

Come join the build

Jay "

Thanks Jay
I will bite the bullet and order the plans that should keep me busy for a few weeks:huh:
Isnt it great to watch the kids faces when they first hear a hand cranked organ, and then come the questions!!!!!;)
cheers
Graham

Attachments

• busker organ.jpg
    busker organ.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 53
Block construction

Hi Jay ,
How did you do the slots on the blocks?? they look as if they have been routed, but was wondering how you did them,I am puzzled as to how you held them, very neat work by the way!!!
Just browsing through all the threads while waiting for my plans to arrive.:thumb:
Cheers
Graham

These are the blocks as shown on pg#10 for the 2 rows of bourdons
View attachment 47444

Getting ready to install View attachment 47445

Graham
I used a router clamped upside down in a vice and a plywood top with a small hole in it. Not the best way to do it but I no longer have my router table and no room to build a new one. A router table would be the best and safest to use.
I am thinking about making these for sale as they are a pain to do but when you get set up you can make quite a few at a time. They are scary tho.

Jay

pipe tuning

Need a little help here. Octave pipes should be tuned 20 cents high by either sanding off the tops OR using shades so they end up 20 cents high? Second row of melody pipes (celeste) should be tuned to what? Been reading other sites that say celeste is maybe 4 cents up but not sure. Thanks