New Organ Build Topsy 3

Jay,

How many and of what sizes of pallet magnets did you end up using in total?

Are you happy with the Paterson pallet magnets?

Ted the Leather you will be able to get from A Turn N Time as soon as the dummy gets the site up and working (ME)
I am close to covering mine and have been waiting to see how much it takes so I wont shoot my self in the foot by under pricing it.
I bought a box of 90 ohm pallet magnets from Paterson (64) I know it takes that many for sure and maybe a few more. Cost is the same on them if you buy 1 or 10,000 so ordering more at once dose not save you anything.

I am going to build the full blown Topsy also and will post here as I build. I have some great contacts to help us all work thu problems with the MIDI system and I am planing on getting supplies from the USA for them also and possibly work up some ready made circuit boards to have available.

I also have contact with John when needed too. :thumb:

Jay

Oh and Welcome to the FWW Ted Please put where you are located so we know how to razz ya

Jay,

How many and of what sizes of pallet magnets did you end up using in total?

Are you happy with the Paterson pallet magnets?

I used 8 from OSI but will not do that again the shipping from them was nuts. I like the Peterson much better. I have used 80 between the main windchest and the acc windchest 72, 90 ohm 5/8 pads and 8, 60 ohm with 3/4 pads for the bass. I also have bought one of the 60 ohm valves with the longer arm and no pad for the Triangle. I am still trying to find a good solenoid valve for the woodblock and will post what I find as soon as I come up with something.

So count so far is 81 valves.

I would also buy there installation tool next time. I got it done but that tool would have made life alot easier.

A lot of time could also be saved with there mounting strips too.

http://www.petersonemp.com/products/pdf/Seriesii.pdf

Wow, that is a big bunch of valves in such a small space !

Did you wish you had the frame adjusting or pipe valve locating tool?

I'm also assuming you went with the front tabs and not the side tabs for the spring.

Can't wait to see your next progress report.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh.... I got an email today from John's daughter and it had a link to your website of Topsy parts. Just Terrific!

I used 8 from OSI but will not do that again the shipping from them was nuts. I like the Peterson much better. I have used 80 between the main windchest and the acc windchest 72, 90 ohm 5/8 pads and 8, 60 ohm with 3/4 pads for the bass. I also have bought one of the 60 ohm valves with the longer arm and no pad for the Triangle. I am still trying to find a good solenoid valve for the woodblock and will post what I find as soon as I come up with something.

I would also buy there installation tool next time. I got it done but that tool would have made life alot easier.

The pipe valve locating tool.
Yes that is a lot of valves but they all fit in there.
I am down to tuning all the pipes and then I will start hooking all the electronics up can wait. I got side tracked for the last 3 or 4 days but hope to be back to it tomorrow still hoping to have it playing before Christmas.

We will be adding a SD MIDI ReadeR I hope by sometime this week. I am taking orders on it now just dont have any good picture of it yet and we are still waiting for one of the PC boards to come in.

Just give Peterson a call and they can help you get the right Pallet valves, real nice folks to talk with.

Jay

Jay,
How did you come to use the 90 ohm instead of 60 ohm units?
I would think the 60 ohm would be a bit more powerful.
It is a function of the capabilities of the register board?

David those are the ones recommenced by John and 60 ohm for the bass pipes (because the holes are bigger) and the triangle. I think its has to do more of a power consumption than anything, but again that's not my expertize at all and I only do as they tell me :rofl:

Also if I remember right the 90 ohm's are cheaper :dunno:

Jay

Hi Guys,

Just catching up on threads so I thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth.

The big difference between 90 and 60 ohm is the current draw. A 90 ohm coil at 12 volts will draw .133 amps. A 60 ohm will draw .2 amps. The strength of pull usually depends on the return spring. The size of the pad should make very little difference in the current draw or strength of the pull. I plan on using 90 ohm through out because they will run cooler not to mention the battery charge will last longer.

As to the wood block solenoids, I'm still looking. I'm also looking into a bass drum plus snare drum. Just hang them on the sides. Removable of course.

Just MHO.