A few bowls I've been working on

Nathan Hawkes

Just wanted to prove I've been doing something....I don't have a working digital camera, but a friend took pics and posted them on my facebook page, so here they are. Sorry for the lack of photo box quality images; one day I'll get my crap together and get some professional quality pictures.
These were all sanded to 600. Minwax antique oil, no buffing except 3M synthetic steel wool between coats.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Group of bowls.jpg
    Group of bowls.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 80
  • curly cherry.jpg
    curly cherry.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 79
  • curly cherry 2.jpg
    curly cherry 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 82
  • cherry root burl.jpg
    cherry root burl.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 80
  • pecan.jpg
    pecan.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Red maple 2.jpg
    Red maple 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 78
  • red maple burl.jpg
    red maple burl.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Spalted red oak.jpg
    Spalted red oak.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 79
Hot dawg, those all look very nice. :thumb: I especially like the one in the fourth picture with the wavy edge. Great job on the whole batch.

Nathan,

Those are really very nice -- thanks for sharing.

Hope your hand is healing - note from Sawmill creek posting..

Holy cow, you must be turning a lot of air with that wavy edged natural bowl...

I've got to check out how to do that. I can't even visualize what the blank must look like before you start.

Very cool!

Thanks for the compliments folks. And, as to my "studio", yep; that there studio cost me $18K!!! Hopefully I can afford a decent digital camera sometime this summer. The trouble is, I have used my father's nice Canon Rebel digital before, and have been SPOILED! Once you use a nice SLR digital, anything less is just not the same. I can't point and shoot; I just can't! Hopefully he'll let me buy or have one of his three lenses; two are nearly identical, and go macro to telephoto. As far as turning air, you're right about that! It was a bowl that just wouldn't have worked with a non variable speed lathe--I had to adjust for the weird harmonic vibrations when shear scraping that one. Steady, steady, steady! Honestly it wasn't that difficult; you just have to have a really sharp edge, and a really smooth tool rest to allow very even, fluid movement. I keep a file and a block of paraffin wax handy.

I meant to add about the buffing; a lot of the figured woods I've been fortunate enough to salvage just don't look natural if they're too shiny. There is a fine line (by my admittedly picky tastes) between just shiny enough, and too much. Some pieces look best with a reflective glossy surface though. I'm not too proud to listen to suggestions.