Chamfer Plane

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Finished this "Krenovian" chamfer plane earlier today.

I used an old blade from an "I dunno" block plane, and made the body from Maple, for the center section, and cherry, for the side plates.

The carved indentations fit my hand nicely, and I think the carved wheat decoration (sorta like an old Disston saw) adds a nice touch, too.

I left the carved grip indentations rough - right off the carving shisels - for a better grip. Finish is garnet shellac.

Attachments

• DSCN0667 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0667 (Medium).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN0660 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0660 (Medium).JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0662 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0662 (Medium).JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0663 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0663 (Medium).JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN0664 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0664 (Medium).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0666 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN0666 (Medium).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 41
Very cool Jim.

Hadn't even thought of doing a chamfer plane, but that would guarantee nice even chamfers all the way round.

I like the thumb indentations too. Might have to steal that idea from you.

And you're right, the little wheat carvings take it from just a utilitarian piece to something really nice.. :thumb:

...I like the thumb indentations too. Might have to steal that idea from you...

Brent, the way I hold it, I have a thumb depression on the left side, and a three finger indent on the right, with an index finger groove on the top, front. It took a while to 'fit' it, but it just sorta naturally falls to hand, now. Very comfortable to hold.

BTW, I drew a line across the blade bed as a starting point for a chamfer, then just bump tha back edge of the blade on the bench top after each pass Could use a small mallet instead), until I get the chamfer I want. Then reset the blade for the next job.

It works like a little champ!

Thanks for the tips Jim. Yeah, When I get back to my table project, I'm going to need to do chamfers all the way around. I could use a router I reckon, but me, maple, and routers tend to make 'burn' marks.

This looks like a sweet solution! :thumb:

Oh, and with my new found love of hand planes, I need a reason to go the Neander route... :thumb:

Not to mention the Shaptons that should be arriving tomorrow, I need a reason to use them as well, and any excuse to make and/or use a hand plane seems like a good one right now... :rofl:

Way cool little plane Jim. I like the carving as well, I don't make many chamfers in my projects but that one is another thing in my "to do" list.:thumb::thumb:

That is a real beauty Jim, the carvings certainly add to it big time.

I also agree with you on the cap iron, the washer works, obviously, but the fine job you have done deserves something less utilitarian :thumb:

Do you push this plane?

I have one I got on auction here with some chisels and it is not anything near as nice as yours, but I do use it a fair bit, but I find it easy to pull it.

Cheers!