Sharpening bowl gouge on the cheap

Not quite wolverine nor varigrind ...but the results work.

My cost is about $3.00 so my setup will never win any beauty pageant but it works. Here is a freshly re-ground bowl gouge from a standard/regular shape to an "Ellsworth" grind. I didn't cut the tip too much (to save some steel) so there is a bit of double bevel still. It will be gone after a few trips to the grinder.

The base is a scrap wood (from milling pen blanks) screwed to a block of another scrap piece. The end received a few mounting pieces at various height and distance from the end (I have 3 right there). The dimples were drilled so the jig won't slip.

The ala "ellsworth jig" is again made from a scrap wood drilled through. The locking mechanish is an eye bolt with a metal insert on the wood so it will not destroy the wood easily. The post is just a long lag bolt and I just cut off the head.

Hope this helps others who plan on making their own jig.

I am using a 6" high speed grinder so it works with that. It can easily be adapted to 8" also by making the mounting part on the end higher by an inch.

200712341731_P1030033b.jpg

20071234183_P1030034b.jpg

200712341820_P1030035b.jpg

Looks good works great! :thumb:

I'm learning (again) how to sharpen my gouges, I read a good article in the AAW magazine that really opened my eyes.

Cheers!

As a freehand grinder (and not a very good one at that) I are interested in manufacturing such a set up as I haven't mastered the bowl gouge yet. Got and dimensions to share? Please

Bill,

I will check if I still have them and post this weekend.

Most likely, best I can give you will be photographed scribbled sketch.

You can start here... http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B61.pdf

I also had a plan shared by a fellow woodturner (Jean Michael from Canada)...he passed away and I am not sure if it is ethical to share his plans. Personally I think it is okay since he did it to me and he asked nothing for it. A great guy I surely miss.

Last edited:
Thanks Dario, the PDF from Woodcraft specificly says use for 5/8" Bowl Gouge Only.... Mine are 1/2" and 3/8"

Is that because the hole in the Jig? If I use a 1/2" hole and another with 3/8" hole respectively it should be OK, (?) Agree?

Guess the only question is how long the pivot point rod. I guess that will appear obvious when I construct the other pieces.

Thanks, again.