We lost the argument with the big orange borg employee

The Lowes and Home Depot near me are staffed by very courteous and helpful people but most of them lack real knowledge. If I don't know exactly what I'm looking for to fix something I go to the local hardware store where most of the people who work there have been working there for years and know exactly what I need and where it is.

On a side note. A few years ago I got my credit card bill and I had a negative balance of $5000. They had credited my $500 payment as $5500 :eek:. I called them to make them aware of the problem and was told on 3 occasions that they don't make mistakes like this and it has to be my error. I sent them 2 letters and never received a response. I cut up the card and have not used it again. I still get a monthly statement showing the negative balance :dunno:

You shouldn't ignore that. It will seriously have a negative effect on your credit rating and debt collectors will be hounding you. There are steps you can take. Unfortunately, these will require an investment in your time but that's better than the alternative.

You're right Frank. About 8 months ago I refinanced my home to get a lower rate. The bank asked me to explain why my balance on this card was negative. I had to give them copies of the letters I sent. They failed to find the humor in it :doh:

the borg gets even

yeah, Im a jerk and they made back their money today.

While picking up something for my son, a 3.00 roll of tape, I wandered over to the screw aisle and decided to buy the 36 lag screws I need to install a rack.
I looked for 3/8 x2, and counted out 36 of them with washers.
When she rang them up, they were 98 cents each, and I thought that was a mistake, so I told her to hold up, went back to the aisle and checked. 98 cents each, I dont know much about lag screws, so like a moron I took them.
I got home, and ofcourse, McFeelys is less than half the price, and they are always running free shipping with purchases I have no problem meeting.

Thats just nerve, 98 cents for something I can buy for 40 cents.
Really gotta know your hardware prices, cause when one thinks the borg offers good pricing, well, suprise, suprise, suprise.

Allen, If you have a tractor supply store near you go there. They sell them by the pound. they will probably end up costing you around a quarter each.
Take the others back to the borg for a credit.

On a side note. A few years ago I got my credit card bill and I had a negative balance of $5000. They had credited my $500 payment as $5500 :eek:. I called them to make them aware of the problem and was told on 3 occasions that they don't make mistakes like this and it has to be my error. I sent them 2 letters and never received a response. I cut up the card and have not used it again. I still get a monthly statement showing the negative balance :dunno:

When I lived in CA many years ago, one of the CSR's at TWA had a similar situation... he got his bank statement and discovered an extra $5000 in his account. Like you he went to the bank and pointed out the error.. he went 3 times and each time was told "banks don't make errors like that". He finally said okay, I guess it's my money and pulled it out of the account, closed the account and deposited it in another bank. Four or Five months later the bank contacted him and said "We made a mistake.. that's not your money."... John told the bank, sorry, you insisted it wasn't a mistake and I've spent the money..... I don't know what the outcome was.. I left the company shortly after this and didn't keep in contact with anyone there.

I had similar situation myself, not so much money though... I was banking with a little independent bank in Marin county in CA.... I took a $100 debit from the ATM on one date, the next day I deposited a check to the account for a similar amount... the two transactions never showed up in my account... I questioned the deposit after a couple of weeks (bank clearances were still done manually in those days)... when the bank checked, they also discovered that the ATM withdrawal had never been taken out either.:(.. seems they had two depositors with the same name and were confused.:dunno:.. evidently account numbers didn't help the situation...

I haven't read all of the replies but I'll throw in my two cents when it comes to the big box stores. I have a BORG about two miles from my house. I deal with them all the time. Most of the material I use for work comes from that store. The good thing about the BORG is that no matter where I'm working, there's usually another one within a ten or fifteen minute drive tops. The employees at my local BORG are friendly and very helpful. Lately I've been in that store MULTIPLE times in any given day for the past couple weeks. They all know me by name and if something special comes up, they're willing to help out. They cut me some slack on some things and go out of their way to give me good service because I'm a good customer. Not long ago I had a cart full of stuff rung up and paid for. I was pushing the cart out the big roll up door and stopped to go back and grab something to drink. I went to the cooler and grabbed a Coke and set it on the counter for her to ring up. I dug into my pocket to get a some money. The woman behind the Pro Desk just said "Don't worry about it. Just take it". I thanked her and headed on my way. No that wasn't a big deal, but it earned that store much more than it cost them in the long run.

I really prefer the BORG to Lowes though. In a pinch, I'll deal with Lowes if I have to but the BORG is much nicer to deal with IMO.

Take care

John

In my area we have the equivalent to 3 kinds of borgs. The orange one in my opinion ranks the highest and this is directly related to it's employees. There is a clerk there, Anthony, who calls me by name and takes the time to chat even if I haven't been in for a few months. It's kind of funny because if he spots you from a ways away he yells " Hey man, how's it go'in." and comes over with a big grin on his face. There are several other employees who are cheerful and helpful. I have never had a problem with their service. They seem to have an excellent personnel manager.

The blue store seems rather.......blue. Never many customers in any of the branches I have visited and I've done laps there looking for a clerk to get something done.

The other borg version is much like the blue store but seems to have a corner on rude and unhelpful people right up to manager level. When they opened a branch in my area I went there and had a problem with some mis-marked items. After talking to the manager for several minuets and getting nowhere. I lost my patience and yelled loudly "you sir, aught to read the sign over the counter, It says "customer service" I almost never shop there.

The Orange one is the best of the two in my area. I know several f the folks who work there, one of then George Conklin is a member here. He lurcks a lot and almost never posts. Funney thing is hes got a full shop but seems to be lost in the spinney world. Anyhow, they are great people when I need to go there. The True Value get the bulk of my business but the Ornge borg gets it when T.V. doesent have what I need.

Home Depot has a "bid room" that goes relatively unadvertised. If you are thinking of purchasing over $2,500 in merchandise (doesn't matter how many items), ask someone at the Pro Desk what it takes to get a bid room quote. If someone is available with bid room access, they should have a quote within the hour. You may save 10% or much more...you may save northing. But it never hurts to ask.

Home Depot has a "bid room" that goes relatively unadvertised. If you are thinking of purchasing over $2,500 in merchandise (doesn't matter how many items), ask someone at the Pro Desk what it takes to get a bid room quote. If someone is available with bid room access, they should have a quote within the hour. You may save 10% or much more...you may save northing. But it never hurts to ask.

Lowe's gives a 10% discount to veterans. Just ask for it and have some kind of ID to show you are a vet.