Thread: handling a handle

handling a handle

Here is a pusher I started making several months ago. The shape was inspired by a saw someone posted here.
    As you can see, it is unfinished.
    My router bits are just too big to make the sharp turns and get through small spaces.
    I bought a set of 1/8" shank bits but they are junk. Don't understand why. The set of ten cost $12.00. That makes them over a dollar each, I sure expected better.
    Other than getting out the files and rasps what do y'all suggest for rounding the edges on this handle pusher to be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails handle.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

It's a nice looking pusher, but the gap under the handle would make me nervous if a kickback occurred and made the handle snap.

Might consider using a plywood or layering your own with grains crossing for strength
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Reminds me of an old girl friend... Deli Kate

Althought the design is retrospect to some of the older and finer handsaws of the past. Perhaps you are a bit too fancy. (for your own good) I designed mine with the handle assuming a Plane's Tote.... I find it easy to grasp, my hand is NOT confined in the handle should a major kick occur, that positioning provides a downward push as well as forward.

I thought of a saw handle style but selected the Tote in stead. Good job, though We each have our preference.

As for the routing, you should be able to cut the inside of the handle and such but the pointy ears will have to be filed, it appears. Notice on an old saw handle, the ornate parts are simply shallow roundovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    It's a nice looking pusher, but the gap under the handle would make me nervous if a kickback occurred and made the handle snap.

Might consider using a plywood or layering your own with grains crossing for strength
    It is two parts, lower ash, upper walnut. The lower is held on with dowels. But, you make a good point. I'm going to run another dowel up from bottom right through that handle. I believe that will make it very sturdy.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Frank i am with Darren and Bill on this one. Dowel or no dowel I would use it as a nice wall souvenier. Sorry but it looks dangerous.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Frank i am with Darren and Bill on this one. Dowel or no dowel I would use it as a nice wall souvenier. Sorry but it looks dangerous.
    Oh, well.
    Mebbe I can find another use for it.

Gee Frank, if it was made out of curly maple I would think a muzzleloader craftsman made it.