Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibrating jointer - Off to see the wizard

Vibrating jointer - Off to see the wizard

My DJ-20 has a vibration that is getting worse. I've opened it up and it seems that the source of the vibration might be the belt. However, the belt seems in good condition. What could be causing the vibration? Belt too old? too tight? Too loose? Misaligned?
    I don't see anything wrong with the sheaves and the motor runs smoothly - no bearing noise, etc.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 05-04-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Did some saw dust or something get lodged between the belt and pulley

Everything ok with the cutterhead? Nothing loose there I trust?

Could always try one of those link belts. I used one on my bucket mortar mixer and it works pretty well there. They are supposed to help eliminate vibration, so if it's the belt, that would be a quick fix.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

OK - Dug a little deeper. Removed the belt, still vibrating. Removed the sheave, motor runs smooth. So, I'm guessing its the sheave. Now, can't see any damage and there is evidence it has been balanced. So - what's next? Can I take this someplace to be balanced again?

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    OK - Dug a little deeper. Removed the belt, still vibrating. Removed the sheave, motor runs smooth. So, I'm guessing its the sheave. Now, can't see any damage and there is evidence it has been balanced. So - what's next? Can I take this someplace to be balanced again?
    Look in the yellow pages for electric motor rewind shops. The have balancing equiptment...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I don't know how the sheaves are balanced. But, if weights were used, it may be possible a weight fell off.
    Have you swept the floor recently?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I don't know how the sheaves are balanced. But, if weights were used, it may be possible a weight fell off.
    Have you swept the floor recently?
    you havnt seen his shop have yu,, its never dirty for more than a day.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

OK. Another bit for the craniacs among us.I replaced the belt and took the sheave (which is balance by taking material away, not adding to - so, no need to sweep the floor) to the machine shop and checked the balance. Not perfect but within tolerances. I realigned everything and tensioned the belt and it still vibrates.... but only under load. As soon as the power is turned off the vibration disappears and it spins down quietly.

So, all of you electrical wizards out there - could I have wired it incorrectly? It's single phase 220. Could the winding be at fault?

Added - I did a little research on the web and found a number of references to rotor issues if the vibration is only when power is applied. Also looked at some replacement prices. Yikes.
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 05-03-2010 at 11:21 PM.

www.wrworkshop.com

In my experience some vibration issues may be solved by making sure the pulleys are properly seated and the set screws are tight. Sounds like you have taken care of that on the motor. How about on the cutterhead?? I know of nothing that would cause that kind of vibration that is a wiring issue. If the motor spins the correct direction, it's wired right.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

My $o.02 worth . Bearings? loose bearings will show up under load where it seems smooth otherwise. Could be bearings in motor or in the cutter head. Could be a dry bearing from the dust etc. Disconnect (and all those safety issues) turn (spin) and if you feel ANYTHING, there is a problem...

Could be belt: I'm not sold on link belts but I do like segmented belts. they are much more flexible than standard belts. If it has been a while sense last use, some belts get stiff in time.
    Real question is if you can feel the vibrations on the tables or are you talking about shaking the plaster type of vibration. Fast or slow? Slow, I would look at the belt, as it indicates a slap. Faster points to a rotating object.

My thoughts on the matter. Will be interesting to find the answer.
    Last edited by Bill Simpson; 05-04-2010 at 01:00 AM.