Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my shaptons...

Got my shaptons...

My Buddy Brown stopped by again today...

My excuse for dull plane blades and chisels has left the building...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shaptons_1.jpg  
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

But where is the picture of the truck?

So after seeing you driveway AND going up it in a 35' RV, does brown drive up your drive or walk, or honk their horn for you to come and fetch your goodies

Looks great, but for me, you need a stone between your 220 and 1000, a 400 would save a LOT of work on your 1000 getting the 220 scratches out
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Brent, I've been looking at those. Would you share how you like them after a bit of use?

Great now would you share the cha-ching & where you purchased them? Are these used with water or oil.

I do have the Lee Valley water stones with tank & sharpening system.

Thanks
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 05-04-2010 at 03:38 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    So after seeing you driveway AND going up it in a 35' RV, does brown drive up your drive or walk, or honk their horn for you to come and fetch your goodies
    Brown drives right on up!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Looks great, but for me, you need a stone between your 220 and 1000, a 400 would save a LOT of work on your 1000 getting the 220 scratches out
    Now you tell me! I kind of got the 220 just to have something a little faster. Was planning on doing most of the work from 1-4-8-16. I know Rob cosman goes directly from 1000 - 30000, but I think I'll just work with this for now. I did get some 1 micron diamond paste just in case I need to go the extra mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Great now would you share the cha-ching & where you purchased them? Are these used with water or oil.
    Water, and SharpeningSupplies.com. Actually I did get a little something unexpected extra from work, so decided to treat myself. Should be the last sharpening stones I'll ever need to buy if I take good care of them.

Oh, and one more of them showed up today, the 16000...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shaptons_2.jpg  
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    Brent, I've been looking at those. Would you share how you like them after a bit of use?
    Will do John. It will be the true test of whether my lack of sharpening ability is due to me or my old mish mash of stones and abrasives...

Ho, ho, I see that you've fallen into the planning & flatwork vortex, Oh, excuse me It is a ramp not a vortex
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

These are the thinner Shaptons on glass, right?

Don't worry about it, but expect to replace the 220, 400 and 1000 down the road, as you bring all of your tools up to being really sharp, these three will be the ones that will get the most work, your 4000,8000, and 16,000 will not get heavy work and should last a very long time (don't drop one ) the lower grit number stones will be used/flattened/used/flattened/used a lot more and will wear out. The good news is the lower grit stones are a lot cheaper, the top three stones you have there are the expensive ones, but like I said, with proper care and feeding should last a very long time.

BTW, I now wear a tight cotton glove that is dipped in the nitrile (sp) rubber stuff, this is a very thin tight fitting glove, but it really protects my fingers, as they get chewed up by all the sharpening, and the long exposure to the water is hard on the hands too.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward