new tail for penturners

Frank Fusco

This is simple. I like simple. :D
This new item was a surprise when I saw a friend using it recently.
It is a tailstock live center that has no center.
Really. But, it is the answer to a lot of problems most penturners encounter regularly.
With a mandrel and regular live center jammed into the little dimple at the end the result is often a turning that is not perfectly round. Forcing a live center point into the nib then applying necessary pressure causes the mandrel to slightly bend and flex. There are several ways around that condition but this gadget simplifies things, especially when turning 7mm pens like the Slimline.
It just slides over the rod and applies the pressure to the bushings and tubes, not the rod. Voila! No pressure on rod.
This one came from PSI, about $15.00. IMHO, a must tool for any penturner who makes more than one pen a year.
First pic is the center from the business end. Second is on rod but not applied to bushing yet. Third is as used.
And, for the nit pickies amongst us. Yes, I know there is no wood on the tube. This set up is for show and tell only. ;)

Attachments

• tail 1.jpg
    tail 1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 41
  • tail 2.jpg
    tail 2.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 43
  • tail 3.jpg
    tail 3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 44
So, kind of like turning between centers, but you still use a mandrel to line things up, but you don't use the nut on the end to tighten, or a live center on the end of the rod.

I have gotten to the point where I would 'choke up' on the mandrel in a collet chuck and just turn one side of the pen at a time. This looks pretty cool...

So, kind of like turning between centers, but you still use a mandrel to line things up, but you don't use the nut on the end to tighten, or a live center on the end of the rod.

I have gotten to the point where I would 'choke up' on the mandrel in a collet chuck and just turn one side of the pen at a time. This looks pretty cool...

Correct.
I was doing similar with a 'professional' style mandrel. This is simpler and doesn't need adjusting. I will even try it with large pens, like the Gentleman. Normally, I use the 'no mandrel' turning technique. But, if this will allow turning two blanks at a time and still maintain quality, I'll do it for speed sake.

I've actually got a live center with a variety of little tips for it. It's actually hollow so you could run a drill bit through it.

I bet I might be able to rig that up with a little piece to work... :huh:

I've actually got a live center with a variety of little tips for it. It's actually hollow so you could run a drill bit through it.

I bet I might be able to rig that up with a little piece to work... :huh:

I had the same idea but trying to drill the "little piece" perfectly centered on the center of the center when centered on the tailstock might end up giving your really oval pens. :eek:

It's a great idea, although I've read reports of bearing problems with them since they first came out. PSI claims to have changed the design for the most recent batch. Just keep your eyes open for problems Frank, and let PSI know if any come up. They've reportedly been good about replacing/refunding the live center (as well as mandrels that have gotten chewed up.)

Don't know if they changed the bearing or not but sent mine back and got my money back. I turned a piece of walnut and threaded it 3/4 X 10 to fit my oneway livecenter. I drilled the end to fit the mandral and deep enough so that it rests against the mandrel nut. Neighbor has it now turning pens as he has a order for 135 of them for troops in Afgan.

It's a great idea, although I've read reports of bearing problems with them since they first came out. PSI claims to have changed the design for the most recent batch. Just keep your eyes open for problems Frank, and let PSI know if any come up. They've reportedly been good about replacing/refunding the live center (as well as mandrels that have gotten chewed up.)

I'll watch. They are good about taking care of customers.
I bought one of the first batch of the GMC3 mini-chucks. Mucho problems, five times return and get new one until finally got a good one.