Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new tail for penturners

new tail for penturners

This is simple. I like simple.
    This new item was a surprise when I saw a friend using it recently.
    It is a tailstock live center that has no center.
    Really. But, it is the answer to a lot of problems most penturners encounter regularly.
    With a mandrel and regular live center jammed into the little dimple at the end the result is often a turning that is not perfectly round. Forcing a live center point into the nib then applying necessary pressure causes the mandrel to slightly bend and flex. There are several ways around that condition but this gadget simplifies things, especially when turning 7mm pens like the Slimline.
    It just slides over the rod and applies the pressure to the bushings and tubes, not the rod. Voila! No pressure on rod.
    This one came from PSI, about $15.00. IMHO, a must tool for any penturner who makes more than one pen a year.
    First pic is the center from the business end. Second is on rod but not applied to bushing yet. Third is as used.
    And, for the nit pickies amongst us. Yes, I know there is no wood on the tube. This set up is for show and tell only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tail 1.jpg   tail 2.jpg   tail 3.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

So, kind of like turning between centers, but you still use a mandrel to line things up, but you don't use the nut on the end to tighten, or a live center on the end of the rod.

I have gotten to the point where I would 'choke up' on the mandrel in a collet chuck and just turn one side of the pen at a time. This looks pretty cool...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    So, kind of like turning between centers, but you still use a mandrel to line things up, but you don't use the nut on the end to tighten, or a live center on the end of the rod.

I have gotten to the point where I would 'choke up' on the mandrel in a collet chuck and just turn one side of the pen at a time. This looks pretty cool...
    Correct.
    I was doing similar with a 'professional' style mandrel. This is simpler and doesn't need adjusting. I will even try it with large pens, like the Gentleman. Normally, I use the 'no mandrel' turning technique. But, if this will allow turning two blanks at a time and still maintain quality, I'll do it for speed sake.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I saw this in Penn states catalog & wondered about it. Thanks for the review Frank. Please post more as you use it.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Found it. Apparently it's very popular. Sold out.

Its called the 'Mandrel Saver'.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMSTS2.html
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

That looks really neat. Probably my answer to oval pens
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    I saw this in Penn states catalog & wondered about it. Thanks for the review Frank. Please post more as you use it.
    I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    That looks really neat. Probably my answer to oval pens
    Oval pens???
    Tell 'em it's art and double yer price.

I've actually got a live center with a variety of little tips for it. It's actually hollow so you could run a drill bit through it.

I bet I might be able to rig that up with a little piece to work...

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I've actually got a live center with a variety of little tips for it. It's actually hollow so you could run a drill bit through it.

I bet I might be able to rig that up with a little piece to work...
    I had the same idea but trying to drill the "little piece" perfectly centered on the center of the center when centered on the tailstock might end up giving your really oval pens.