Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Shop Size

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Santa Claus, In
    Posts
    4,779

    Shop Size

    A question about shop size. How big is too big, for a stand alone woodworking ONLY shop. The reason I ask is I looked up the size of The New Yankee Workshop. Now for over 20 years Norm built everything you or I could think of. Shop size, 936 sq ft. Most tools are on mobile bases, so that helps. I just don't understand some of these, " I just finished my new 60x100 foot shop".

    Yes I would love to have a bigger shop. I wasn't even thinking 30x30.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Posts
    8,529
    Steve,
    I've been working out of a 10x20 ft shop. I'm getting ready to move some of my stuff into the two car garage sixe cause I need more room.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,017
    I've got a two car garage, but I would love to have about double the space. Of my four walls, one is an overhead door and two are covered with built-in cabinets, so I have all of my major tools out in the middle of the shop. I don't have room for an assembly bench, or enough floor space to hold any furniture or cabinet project in progress.

    Given a choice, I'd have at least twice the floor space, and overhead/loft storage and office space would be a bonus. I'd also like the DC and compressor to live in a separate room or outbuilding.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Constantine, MI
    Posts
    7,890
    I have just over 400 sf, but I share it with a furnace, washer & dryer, water heater, and the back half of a fireplace. I think 8-900 sf would feel great! Like Vaughn, I wish I had room for an assembly table as I like to build larger projects. My situation is very similar to his as I have one wall that is all door and 1 1/2 walls that are cabinets. However, I also have a wall that holds all the aforementioned utilities. In fact, when the tour de wood visited me the first words I heard regarding my shop came from Bill - "It looks bigger in the pictures."

    Larry's shop area is about 36 x 36 - that's not counting the office, spray room, and lumber storage. I think I could get lost in there, but I'd enjoy it!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Posts
    9,076
    I'm about 20 x 30 with a washer/dryer, water heater and chest freezer sucking up valuable shop space. Hot water is over rated and I'm not sure that I really need to wash clothes . . . hmmm I could take my laundry over to LOML's house and do it there!
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Posts
    4,944
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm about 20 x 30 with a washer/dryer, water heater and chest freezer sucking up valuable shop space. Hot water is over rated and I'm not sure that I really need to wash clothes . . . hmmm I could take my laundry over to LOML's house and do it there!
    Hmmm yourself. I can just see your LOML seeking 6 ft tall, blonde,male with six pack muscles, brains, etc. and YOU taking your laundry to the landromat.

    Enjoy,

    Dad
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    39.92*N x 86.01*W
    Posts
    112
    Get real Steve - there's no such thing as too big.

    Every woodworker there is - no matter HOW big his shop - wants/needs more space.

    Remember rule #1: Stuff expands to fill all available space.



    -Kevin in Indy
    "Heroic? He fell off his bloody Aeroplane!"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hmmm yourself. I can just see your LOML seeking 6 ft tall, blonde,male with six pack muscles, brains, etc. and YOU taking your laundry to the landromat.

    Enjoy,

    Dad
    Oh man, I can feel the love from all the way over here.

    Great shot, Jim. Your eyes may be getting a bit old but your aim is still pretty sharp.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Salt Spring Island, BC Canada
    Posts
    2,070
    Just waiting till Alex and Stu chime in about shop size. I feel privilaged to have the 20x20 shop size that I currently have, I have come from smaller size and like i am sure everyone can agree with the more space that you have the more tools you will desire, aquire/ build to fill those empty spaces. Wood storage, tool storage, elbow room. I don't think that there is such a thing as too big a shop.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Delton, Michigan
    Posts
    17,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    I have just over 400 sf, but I share it with a furnace, washer & dryer, water heater, and the back half of a fireplace. I think 8-900 sf would feel great! Like Vaughn, I wish I had room for an assembly table as I like to build larger projects. My situation is very similar to his as I have one wall that is all door and 1 1/2 walls that are cabinets. However, I also have a wall that holds all the aforementioned utilities. In fact, when the tour de wood visited me the first words I heard regarding my shop came from Bill - "It looks bigger in the pictures."

    Larry's shop area is about 36 x 36 - that's not counting the office, spray room, and lumber storage. I think I could get lost in there, but I'd enjoy it!
    sorry rennie it just looks big,, the main building is 36x48 that gets all of it and the office and other rooms are in that space as well.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Similar Threads

  1. King Size Bed
    By Ted Calver in forum Designs, Plans and Sketches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 02:58 PM
  2. Wire size?
    By Al killian in forum Carpentry and Construction
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 10:24 PM
  3. Workbench Size
    By Brent Dowell in forum Jigs and Fixtures
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-05-2011, 11:47 PM
  4. Boring Time in the Shop - Note Updated Tool Bit Size
    By Vaughn McMillan in forum Turning Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 11:31 AM
  5. Pen blank size?
    By Barry Richardson in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •