New restoration started _QC grinder

Jeff Horton

Well, had the day in the lab and got tired of watching paint dry. Decided it was time to start on the Grinder. Since I have the VFD and cleaning up wouldn't create dust I figured I could work on it. It shouldn't take but 2 or 3 days since it really just needs cleaning and painting.

Before photos
before1.jpg before2.jpg

Had it torn down in about an hour. Only hard part was getting one guard off. It was the broken one. I suspect this grinder was being moved and they lost it. It's obvious it has a high center of gravity and it's heavy enough if you lean it over to far it going to fall. One man... well an average man couldn't stop it once it started. I have to be very careful moving it around by myself.

dissasembly_1.jpgdissasembly_2.jpgdissasembly_3.jpg

I have it torn down and pretty well cleaned. Turns out it was green! I bought some paint I thought was burgundy but it's really red. Not sure I like it either. I am debating if I want to go back and see what else they have. They did have a green I was tempted by, so it may go back green. But no KERMIT green. :rolleyes: ;)

Tomorrow it going to be FRIGGED for us. So I am going work on cleaning the parts and and see if I can't get this painted tomorrow.

Jeff

For those that don't know, while this is not a Wood Working machine per se', it will be used restoring old machines. And it is a low speed grinder too, so I may use it to sharper my lathe tools.

I will start with the bade. It was really rusty and I didn't think there was a chance of saving it. To my surprise it was just embossed and not painted. So it cleaned up rather nicely. And I love old machine badges too.

badge.jpg

I decided since the machine was green to keep it green. I started to go with red but I just didn't like the color on there. So I picked up what I though was a similar green. Well was I wrong!!

paint1.jpg

That should be called puke green because that is what it made me feel like doing. I couldn't cover that up fast enough!! I jumped back in the car and took a part with me this time. Nothing they had (in rattle cans) was really close to the factory color. I finally decided.... well setteled on this green. I didn't want to fool with cleaning the gun or I would have had a quart mixed up. I can live with this color even though it's not really a great color. It does look like something that would have come on an old machine.

paint2.jpg paint3.jpg

Will let it dry for a day or two and start putting it back together. Then it will be time to mount the VFD and do the final wiring. Just as soon as I decide where to put it.

Looking good Jeff :thumb:
Spotted that in one of your posts the other day.
Was wondering if you were going to spruce er up

Got it back together. Still waiting on the paint to harden up before do much more. I like the color better now that it has dried. I need to paint the switch box black but waiting on the paint to dry before I tape up the face plate around it.

paint4.jpg

Since the right side guard was broken there isn't a good way to add a tool rest on there. It had a polishing buff on it and I plan on using a wire brush on there most of the time. Problem is the buff is to narrow to tighten up. It just spins free on the shaft. So I turned a wooden spacer and moved it out as far as i could. Now that I look at I realize I should have made the space the same dia. as the flange. Oh well. thats an quick job.

paint5.jpg

Now on to the wiring!