Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Brown Brought Me

What Brown Brought Me

Brown came by my house Monday. Figured some of you might appreciate this...

What showed up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sig P266 22 LR Conversion Kit.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	45272

And the results...my old Sig Sauer P226 9mm. (Like the Thompson bowl gouge as a prop?):

Name:	Sig P266 9mm.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	45273

My new Sig Sauer P226 .22LR:

Name:	Sig P266 22LR.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	45274

And the whole kit...two barrel/slide assemblies, and two clips. I can switch between 9mm and .22 LR in about 10 seconds. I'm still finding 9mm ammo pretty scarce and expensive out here, but I can get .22 LR more easily. Haven't done much of any shooting in the past few years, but I see more range time in my future.

[Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sig P266 Full Kit.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	45275

Last week when I was in Albuquerque visiting my family and celebrating my dad's 80th birthday, my dad and I were talking guns and in passing, I mentioned the .22 LR conversion kit for my Sig. He said "I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I want you to go get on the computer right now and order one...I'm buying." Turns out he'd already tried to buy one for me from his local gun dealer, but he didn't have it in stock. He told me in the past few months he'd given other family members some of his extra handguns, and he figured it was time I got a new gun, too. It was his birthday, but I got the present.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Very nice, should make a great gun for plinking cans etc.

Great story about your dad too!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

That's pretty cool Vaughn. I have the .22 conversion kit for my 1911 that my Dad brought home from WW11. It makes target shooting more affordable.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

nice set vaughn!!! i am surprised you can get guns delivered by the brown truck in your state..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

One of my favorite kinds of shooting years ago was "garbage shooting"...cans, charcoal briquettes, anything than moved or blew up when hit. Unfortunately, where I live now, garbage shooting is pretty much out of the question. There used to be one or two places set aside for it in the nearby National Forest, but they closed them to shooting years ago due to all the idiots who were lacking in self discipline and common courtesy. Unless I drive quite a ways out to the desert, shooting holes in paper is my only option. There's a nice indoor range not too far from my house, and I used to spend some time there staying in practice before ammo got expensive and harder to find out here. Now I can get the practice, using the same gun (less kick, but the same action and trigger) for a lot less money in ammo. Then when it comes back home, the Sig goes back to being a 9mm with hollowpoints.

There are similar aftermarket .22 LR conversion kits for several other pistols. The kits for the M1911 .45 ACP is pretty popular from what I've read. One thing I like about mine is that it's made by the manufacturer of the pistol, an it comes with a lifetime warranty comparable to the pistol itself.

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    nice set vaughn!!! i am surprised you can get guns delivered by the brown truck in your state..
    Since this was just the slide, barrel, and clip, it didn't qualify as a gun. Had it been a full gun, it would have had to be shipped to a dealer.

workingwoods.com

That's pretty cool Vaughn.

Fortunately for me, still plenty of places close by to do a little 'garbage' shooting....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I've got a couple of Ruger 10/22 rifles I've rigged up with AR style stocks. Lots cheaper to shoot and practice with .22lr than .223...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I've got a couple of Ruger 10/22 rifles I've rigged up with AR style stocks. Lots cheaper to shoot and practice with .22lr than .223...
    I used to have those kinds of stocks. Hard to shoot accurately. Looked impressive but that was it. Gave them away.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Good move Vaughn. Yes, ammo, even hand rolled, is expensive these days. And, I believe, a gun is worthless if not used. And using is good training. If you can't enjoy it and use properly, there is no point in owning.
    Good choice on the brand as well. You deserve a big:
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire