Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Foyer/hall/telephone table/desk

Foyer/hall/telephone table/desk

I cant figure out what to call what Im building. As usual, I follow no plans, just draw it out and see how it looks.
    Im using all the thick white oak I have, to experiment to see if I can build a dining table of similar construction for my son.(my back is stiff from today, I have to figure out how to move around pieces that will weigh hundreds of lbs)
    Pedestal legs are WO with Mahogany fronts and backs. About 2 and 3/8th thick. Top is all white oak, maybe 2 inches thick. Ive been hand planing down the top and will work it with the belt sander and orbital sander when Im closer.(Im trying to even it out, seems I glued it up 1/16 or so off, and to get it flat, well, its white oak, and its hard, really hard, for me)
    Its 14 inches wide, and my planer only takes 13 inches, so its all by hand.
    The table is around 35 inches high.14 inch x 38 inch top.
    I wanted a hall table but also need something with a drawer for pads and pens, hold keys, and Im going to put the telephone on the top. A working/desk type of table but no chair or stool.
    This is what I came up with. Some pics of the build so far.
    Im going to attempt to inlay a simple 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide strips shaped in a rectangle on the top, maybe inlay some mahogany or walnut. If I ruin the top, Ill flip it over and scratch the idea. Im also going to make my first solid wood dovetail drawer. I have to make through dovetails, so Im going to put a front on the drawer.
    I put a piece of striped mahogany in the drawerfronts place to see how it would look completed. I have alot of exotic woods in pen blank form.
    I dont think Ill be spinning any pens anytime soon, so I might use one of the exotics to make a handle for the drawer.
    After tomorrow, I will not be able to work on this piece for a couple weeks.
    I hope leaving it outside in the garage it doesnt move much, but its so heavy and thick, it can do what it wants, I cant stop it.
    Although very very simple design, this was so difficult getting together for me.
    Ill probably rub some oil on it, 2 coats, then a few coats of poly, since its going to get alot of use.
    Just to be clear, I wanted foyer/hall table height, but wanted a telephone table type of piece also and its dimensions are dictated by the space against the wall where Im placing it.

*I believe I might have preferred the drawer a bit more narrow, maybe 3.5-4 inch drawer front, but my wife says she likes that large drawer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 217 (Medium).jpg   bed 218 (Medium).jpg   bed 219 (Medium).jpg   bed 223 (Medium).jpg   bed 225 (Medium) (2).jpg  

bed 226 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 05-05-2010 at 08:52 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Nice, Very nice, Clean simple design.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I try to build my furniture like me. Simple yet functional.

Very nice Allen!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Simple, stout but elegant design. I'll give it a
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Definitely stout. I like it
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Allen i feel for you not being able to handle that heavy stuff.

Did some research and was thinking about things like that for the future and found these at Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._120327_120327

What about rigging up something like this with a sort of dual strap arrangement and using it like they do when they helicopter rescue someone from the sea.

Its only $100 and given you will do a slab at a time i dont see that you need anything heavier. If you put it on a couple of runners over head in your garage it could do multi duty for a bunch of lifting. Cant think of the name of the channel iron that they use for sliding heavy doors but something like that. There are other heavy lifting devices like the ones used to take an engine out but they in turn take up floor space.

Just thinking aloud trying to give you ideas for the future to handle all your boards. Even when you get to assembly or finishing stage of a heavy assembled piece a hoist like this could come in handy.

Then I was wondering if you want to plane the 14" wide oak with your machine, I would like someone that knows better than me to comment on what i am going to say. Would it not be possible to rip it down the middle, with a glue line blade, then plane it and glue back together again with dowels. Just thinking about you and getting tired with trying to do it all manual.
    cheers

Good lookin project Allen I think the drawer is sized just right

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Allen i feel for you not being able to handle that heavy stuff.

Did some research and was thinking about things like that for the future and found these at Northern Tool.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._120327_120327

What about rigging up something like this with a sort of dual strap arrangement and using it like they do when they helicopter rescue someone from the sea.

Its only $100 and given you will do a slab at a time i dont see that you need anything heavier. If you put it on a couple of runners over head in your garage it could do multi duty for a bunch of lifting. Cant think of the name of the channel iron that they use for sliding heavy doors but something like that. There are other heavy lifting devices like the ones used to take an engine out but they in turn take up floor space.

Just thinking aloud trying to give you ideas for the future to handle all your boards. Even when you get to assembly or finishing stage of a heavy assembled piece a hoist like this could come in handy.

Then I was wondering if you want to plane the 14" wide oak with your machine, I would like someone that knows better than me to comment on what i am going to say. Would it not be possible to rip it down the middle, with a glue line blade, then plane it and glue back together again with dowels. Just thinking about you and getting tired with trying to do it all manual.
    Thats how carol does it at her place..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

rob, I cut all the 12-13 inch wide boards down to 6 inches so I could edge and face joint them, then plane them separately.
    I ran them through the machine at the same time so thickness would be identical.
    I cant think of what happenned other than my glue went south, which I checked and rechecked then called it a night and left it clamped.
    A lift might work, not sure if Ill work with such heavy lumber that often though.