Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken router collett

Broken router collett

I just got in from the shop and I thought I'd ask here first before looking on the net....

I have a Ryobi RE600 that I bought new, a bunch of years ago, it has been a good one for me but tonight I tightened down a 1/2" bit in it and heard a small crack...not wanting to take any chances I took it out of the router table and dissasembled it to find the collet did indeed break and I could pull 3 pieces out of the nut collar...

Now my question, since this is a old router can I still get the part I need...i.e. are collets interchangeable if my local dealer who doesn't handle Ryobi, will another type work?

Thanks.

Steve, I could be wrong, but the only thing that I have seen that will interchange from one brand to another that is related to collets is the insert adapter to use 1/4" bits in a 1/2" collet. I know that between the one Craftsman, 1 Rockwell, 1 DeWalt, 3 Hitachi's and 1 HF trim router that are all in my shop, NONE of the collets are interchangeable from one brand to another. I have no experience with the Ryobi, so I can't comment on that, but unless there is a rebranded model like yours that would possibly fit, I would guess that you will have to get a Ryobi replacement part.

Smile

Hi Steve,
    .... Sorry to say but you will pay dearly for that collect . I went through the same thing a couple of years ago.

Good luck in your endeavor.
    Thinking about a project without ACTION is just DAY DREAMING .

Coincidentally, I broke a 1/4" collet on a PC the other day. The snap ring thingy broke off the top of it. I was using the 1/4" collet because the HomeDepot has apparaently decided to only sell Ryobi 1/4" shank router bits, and I needed a new roundover.

Fortunately, I was able to finish what I was working on with an older bit (1/2" shank).

steve, you`re pretty much outta luck
    kirk, the "snap ring" on p/c collets is a relativley new thing and will not be a safety issue....you will have to tap on the bits shank in order to remove it though........we had to do that every time untill p/c added the snap ring.....tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Geez that sucks eh Steve...........

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...gi/ryobi/RE600

$56.71 Part #6090134

YIKES!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I guess the correct name is 1/2" collett sleeve (part 65-1) according to Stu's link.

Thanks fellas, I looked up my nearest dealer got a phone number and I'll see if they have the part in stock, $$$, etc.

56 bucks you`re only a bill away from a new p/c 690! then if you break a collet they`re like 10 bucks if you`ve gotta buy one.....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    56 bucks you`re only a bill away from a new p/c 690! then if you break a collet they`re like 10 bucks if you`ve gotta buy one.....

Yeah, and I already have two PC 690's. This old Ryobi was fixed permanently in my router wing off the table saw.

Hate to toss the old Ryobi just yet.

Hmmm, Valentines day is just around the corner and the wife asked me what I wanted....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post

Hmmm, Valentines day is just around the corner and the wife asked me what I wanted....
    collet........or a new router?...........lets think on this