Broken router collett

Steve Ash

I just got in from the shop and I thought I'd ask here first before looking on the net....

I have a Ryobi RE600 that I bought new, a bunch of years ago, it has been a good one for me but tonight I tightened down a 1/2" bit in it and heard a small crack...not wanting to take any chances I took it out of the router table and dissasembled it to find the collet did indeed break and I could pull 3 pieces out of the nut collar...

Now my question, since this is a old router can I still get the part I need...i.e. are collets interchangeable if my local dealer who doesn't handle Ryobi, will another type work?:dunno:

Thanks.:thumb:

Steve, I could be wrong, but the only thing that I have seen that will interchange from one brand to another that is related to collets is the insert adapter to use 1/4" bits in a 1/2" collet. I know that between the one Craftsman, 1 Rockwell, 1 DeWalt, 3 Hitachi's and 1 HF trim router that are all in my shop, NONE of the collets are interchangeable from one brand to another. I have no experience with the Ryobi, so I can't comment on that,:dunno: but unless there is a rebranded model like yours that would possibly fit, I would guess that you will have to get a Ryobi replacement part.:dunno:

Coincidentally, I broke a 1/4" collet on a PC the other day. The snap ring thingy broke off the top of it. I was using the 1/4" collet because the HomeDepot has apparaently decided to only sell Ryobi 1/4" shank router bits, and I needed a new roundover.

Fortunately, I was able to finish what I was working on with an older bit (1/2" shank).

steve, you`re pretty much outta luck:eek:
kirk, the "snap ring" on p/c collets is a relativley new thing and will not be a safety issue....you will have to tap on the bits shank in order to remove it though........we had to do that every time untill p/c added the snap ring.....tod

I guess the correct name is 1/2" collett sleeve (part 65-1) according to Stu's link.

Thanks fellas, I looked up my nearest dealer got a phone number and I'll see if they have the part in stock, $$$, etc.

56 bucks:eek: you`re only a bill away from a new p/c 690! then if you break a collet they`re like 10 bucks if you`ve gotta buy one.....

56 bucks:eek: you`re only a bill away from a new p/c 690! then if you break a collet they`re like 10 bucks if you`ve gotta buy one.....

Yeah, and I already have two PC 690's. This old Ryobi was fixed permanently in my router wing off the table saw.

Hate to toss the old Ryobi just yet.:dunno:

Hmmm, Valentines day is just around the corner and the wife asked me what I wanted....

I did check ebay and there is one like mine. I also checked on a new, 3 h.p., soft start, 1/2" to replace this one....3 hundred bucks.

An old friend I used to work for and taught me a lot about woodworking bought a identical one just like mine (actually that is why I bought mine, because Charlie had one and I liked it) I remembered our last visit he told me he didn't use his anymore, so I just called and left a message on his answering machine to see if he'd like to part with it.....so I'm waiting for a call back.:dunno:

I did check ebay and there is one like mine. I also checked on a new, 3 h.p., soft start, 1/2" to replace this one....3 hundred bucks.

An old friend I used to work for and taught me a lot about woodworking bought a identical one just like mine (actually that is why I bought mine, because Charlie had one and I liked it) I remembered our last visit he told me he didn't use his anymore, so I just called and left a message on his answering machine to see if he'd like to part with it.....so I'm waiting for a call back.:dunno:

Offer him $56 for it :rofl:

$56.00 for a collet:eek: :huh: :huh:

Sounds like Ryobi has the gold mine, and you might get the shaft.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sounds like PC time again